Cyclocross 2011/12

Yes, its only April, but I just pulled the trigger on some FMB sprint tubulars! In French National colors!.. (pics when I get them)

My wife and children don’t understand or care…nor do my MTB buddies…

I had to tell someone.

Nice! I bought some FMB Fangos last week. I will probably get a set of SSCs once I have a bit of coin for the drier/hard pack stuff. I had hoped to get some PRs for the road bike but no such luck.

I had to miss out on last season because of my back shit, and now I’m not completely sure that I’m going to live up here for next season because my wife might be getting laid off. I love everything.

For some reason, I am incredibly stoked about cyclocross right now.

if i get to buy a new bike this year its gonna be a tough decision between a cross bike or a mtb.

get the cross bike first, you can ride it on most mtb trails… and do cross.

I’m going to build up a geared cross bike this year… racing on a ss bike is fun, but not that competitive on most courses around here…

yeah thats true but theres also a ton of really good mtb trails that are a bit too much for a cross bike really close to my house.

Get the hardtail and ride the awesome Cape Ann trails. Lock out your fork, if you can and slap some of these on and race 'cross in cat5/4.

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/sccxprosp26.html

Molly Cameron out in Portland says he’s getting some FMB PR’s in 25 and 27mm. I want some 27’s for some dirt road climbs in the White Mountains. But I too need to wait for more coin.

I’m thinking some Racing Ralph Tubs from Chainreactioncycles. Last I looked they were around $57.00 USD. Anybody ride these yet?

[quote=dmotoguy]

get the cross bike first, you can ride it on most mtb trails… and do cross.[/quote]

fuck that get the mtb. Riding a cross bike sucks on all but the tamest mtb trails yet racing cross on an mtb is perfectly fine… on some courses preferable.

[quote=DDYTDY]Molly Cameron out in Portland says he’s getting some FMB PR’s in 25 and 27mm. I want some 27’s for some dirt road climbs in the White Mountains. But I too need to wait for more coin.

I’m thinking some Racing Ralph Tubs from Chainreactioncycles. Last I looked they were around $57.00 USD. Anybody ride these yet?[/quote]
Good to know. My Fangos came today. Even with the crazy tread they are easily the most supple/drapable tubulars I’ve ever held. These things are going to ride fantastic.

^^^ your going to Aquaseal them?

I read somewhere, someone was cleaning the sidewalls with vinegar, putting on a few coats of liquid latex, then aquaseal.??? I can’t find the link again though.

Here it is over at Weight Weenies

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51002&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

They came Aquasealed.

Did you get the Pro or Superprestige? Or does the Cotton come pre-Aquasealed?

i’m going to look at cx bikes at lunch.

thanks, dicks.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t buy another bike frame built by anyone but me. So, now I’m ordering a tube set. Thanks, dicks.

Edit:

Frame is going to have a wishbone seat stay like the Il Pompino. I’m using the cheapest 4130 tube set I can find, because my brazing skills are fairly limited (I’ve never done really thin tubing). Any thoughts on geometry? Level TT for shouldering or compact for stiffness? Semi-compact as a compromise?

I’ve some questions for those that have actual CX experience as I have none. Are cross levers really needed? I notice that a lot of the top guys don’t have 'em. Also, does anyone know of any CX training type events in the bay area? I can mostly only find organized races and those are in the fall.

Muhhahahhahh!

I was planning on putting Tufo Flexus on my Breed’s race wheels to match the Ridley and you guys are all up in here talkin’ about your hoity-toity FMBs and Flying Doctors.
Thanks dicks.

[quote=EuroJosh]I was planning on putting Tufo Flexus on my Breed’s race wheels to match the Ridley and you guys are all up in here talkin’ about your hoity-toity FMBs and Flying Doctors.
Thanks dicks.[/quote]

Halbritt, I can’t comment on geometry, but on cross levers, for me, they come in handy on long around town rides and when the back starts screaming when racing.

And while we’re on back pain. I did a geared race then a SS race back to back last fall. I did the SS fixed and had less back pain then in the race just before.

Lesson learned: Stand up in a higher gear to stretch out coming out of corners and short hills…

went to the LBS and chatted with the local CX guru (Jon Suzuki, he conducts a lot of clinics here in the East Bay). Got some good tips from him, and he showed me his '09 Ridley X-Night. Holy fuck.

Anyway, clinics start up again in August, and I’ll have a 'cross bike by then.

SMB