Cyclocross Season 2008 Thread

What about the rest of you Austin boys? :colbert:[/quote]

thinking about it. gonna see what i can fit in the c’dale tire-wise and hit up a couple beginners races. they also have banked track dirt oval racing (sprints, madison, keirin, all in the dirt) which I HAVE GOT TO SEE.[/quote]

Last night was the first Dirt Derby of the year and my first ever cross race. I got first in the Beg. Cyclocross class but I was the only beginner so I guess that means very little. I think I am going to move up to the intermediate class even if I get killed because I want to be pushed…

Also, the dirt track races are during the Beg. race and they looked like a lot of fun. The track is flat though, not banked… Still looked like a blast…

One guy out there was racing the A Cyclocross class on a fixed gear surly… he was pretty darn fast too… very cool!!!

If you are in Austin, you should definitely try to make it out… It is a great time… All the info is on the website: http://dirtderby.com/
Also, I am volunteering through my team (UT Cycling) so if you have any questions, let me know and I will try to help you out…

See ya there!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lghImPUL2h0

[quote=“BenATX”][quote=“jim”][quote=“DDYTDY”]

What about the rest of you Austin boys? :colbert:[/quote]

thinking about it. gonna see what i can fit in the c’dale tire-wise and hit up a couple beginners races. they also have banked track dirt oval racing (sprints, madison, keirin, all in the dirt) which I HAVE GOT TO SEE.[/quote]

Last night was the first Dirt Derby of the year and my first ever cross race. I got first in the Beg. Cyclocross class but I was the only beginner so I guess that means very little. I think I am going to move up to the intermediate class even if I get killed because I want to be pushed…

Also, the dirt track races are during the Beg. race and they looked like a lot of fun. The track is flat though, not banked… Still looked like a blast…

One guy out there was racing the A Cyclocross class on a fixed gear surly… he was pretty darn fast too… very cool!!!

If you are in Austin, you should definitely try to make it out… It is a great time… All the info is on the website: http://dirtderby.com/
Also, I am volunteering through my team (UT Cycling) so if you have any questions, let me know and I will try to help you out…

See ya there!!![/quote]

i meant to go check it out, but i didn’t realize yesterday was tuesday.

whoa. i want in! i can’t seem to find any cross tires that will fit my frame and fork though. everyone is out of stock or it’s a discontinued model.

any have any ideas for a VERY budget cross bike? like $200 max? touring frame and 1x8 or something? old MTB? good used cross bike from a few years ago?

:bear:

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net ... osp70.html

On a road frame with a different tire (don’t remember what kind) I’ve trimmed the knobs with bull nose wire cutters for more clearance.

Or, get a cheep cromo canti fork and run a 28mm road tire on the back…

Or, look around on Ebay, CL or thrift stores for a trek 750 and swap out the stem and bars?

I got this for $125 at a small LBS

$125!? wow. that’s easily a $400 bike here, not even joking. and it wouldn’t stay for sale for very long, either.

i got time, so i’ll keep my eyes open for something to ride. i can’t quite fit a 28mm tire on my bike; if the rear wheel is even slightly out of true the tire rubs the chainstays.

I did some mods as soon as I got it,
Bike $125
Rims $90
Tires $100
Eno Hub $140
Spokes $70

The rest I had kicking around
So, I got $525 + into it

Chain, cog, bar tape …

The wheels that came with the bike weren’t bad. I gave them to a friend. The drivetrain was suntour still around here somwhere???

Buuummmmppppp. I’m gonna have something to show you guys tomorrow.

Which is kind of funny, considering I’m not racing this season.

Cyclotarck???

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7061

“Best of all the start and finish are on the velodrome”

I’m on it…

CKD, what do you have to show?

I WANT TO KNOW :colbert:

I glued up my Vittorias today. After work tomorrow, I’m taking my Rob Roy out to do some singletrack riding. This will be the first training I’ve done for CX, other than riding thirty miles every day.

[quote=“DDYTDY”]CKD, what do you have to show?

I WANT TO KNOW :colbert:[/quote]

Well, I was going to get a Scott Cyclocross Team, but I actually ended up not being that wild about it after the test ride. I actually ended up going to the exact opposite end of the spectrum and getting a Cross Check complete and saving myself about 600 bucks. It’s one of those bikes that I’ve thought about buying for years and years, and I just kind of picked it up on a whim when the Scott didn’t end up working out.

Pics will probably be up tomorrow. Maybe. Whatever.

So, it’s your birthday night and you’re playing internets? Dorkus malorkus.

going out to do some mounts/dismounts/stair running/beer chugging practice tomorrow in the park with a seasoned cross racer. can’t wait.

So, it’s your birthday night and you’re playing internets? Dorkus malorkus.[/quote]

I wanted to spend my birthday with you guys. Is that really so bad?

But seriously, we hit the bar early and I was home by 9.

You’re gonna be hella sore the day after tomorrow.

I hope. I haven’t been hella sore in awhile… even from track workouts. In my mind, legs that are completely out of commission for the next day = what I want.

i went and watched a cyclocross race last night. first time seeing it in person. holy shit, that looks like the coolest thing ever.

MUST. BUILD. CROSS. BIKE.

[quote=“jim”]i went and watched a cyclocross race last night. first time seeing it in person. holy shit, that looks like the coolest thing ever.

MUST. BUILD. CROSS. BIKE.[/quote]

This is why I haven’t looked into it. I don’t want to get all addicted.