Dammit: Post your bike

Just now. First basketbike, so I’ll that any advice I get from here. Going to modify the bar mounts to bring it closer. Still may try supports mounted to the forks.

I’m still on my zeroth basket bike, so this is just secondhand knowledge and my eyeballing a single picture.

Oh shit wait fuckin brainwave here: can you modift the handlebar attachments to fit into the empty space inside the Alter? that would pull the basket way in and under the stem, but would snug it up really nice. Plus the handlebars would act as a natural lid to the basket!

the alter has that center tube in the casting, it’s been a while but I think it’s a thru hole. Could drop a bolt thru it and attach hanger/basket underneath.

Just do whatever you can to get that basket as far back towards the head tube and as close to the tire as possible. I’d just remove it until you’re ready for some cutting and welding.

Looks like handlebar attachments are horizontal. You can make them vertical to bring it down and back.
Probably will happen by itself once you put significant weight on. The struts will be too long then. You can cut them and redrill. I did that once. Worked.

1 Like

Or just check out this thread for some good bike cargo advice

It does. I like this idea.

Exactly that happened, the basket is sitting at around 20*. There’s some room to shorten the mounts. I’m also going to school for welding, so I have access to steel to make supports. Any further dithering I’ll take to the cargo thread.

or, you know, just buy the adjustable struts

2 Likes

Why don’t they just ship with those things?

My kidlet’s townie. Evo Super6 from a Ruckus garage sale, Chinacrabon fork, eBay wheels, and various odds & ends from CCC and my parts bin. I still need to get the N/W chainring, because that’s what she wants to run.

8 Likes

God damnit, this fred thing is a rabbit hole. I need a net for the basket, a kickstand, and other things I don’t know I need. I should’ve stuck with road racer like bikes.

2 Likes

The one I bought recently came with adjustable struts. Maybe that basket was old stock?

different baskets come with different struts IIRC.

The newer 1392 version has adjustable struts. I thought that was the only one for sale any more but it looks like some places are still selling the 139 with the one-piece struts.

I’ve never cared so little for something I spent money on

7 Likes

Put some 11 speed stuff on here and braapped to work.

12 Likes

Last one I bought came with the adjustable struts.

Someone should make a tool for freeing seat posts. Maybe some saddle rails with a long lever?

it’s a bench vise. with tubing blocks if you want to not ruin the seatpost.