Dangler wrangling

I’m probably going GRX di2 on my next build. We’ll see if I actually follow through.

4 Likes

nah, SRAM spaces the chainrings out slightly more. They call it Wide or whatever. at least with electronic shifting, the gearing works very well.

my SO’s gravel bike has GRX di2. it is so, so nice. whenever im ready to move on from ekar, that’s probably what’s next for me too.

Make sure ya get the wide version of the crank AND pusher clamp. There’s a wide and normal version at each level iirc

1 Like

the wide pusher clamp is also useful for older road stuff on 135/142 frames

1 Like

Ah thanks guys. That was my next question. Assumed there must be wider pusher clamps. Maybe I should just accept that a gravel bike is not an mtb.

Just putting this in here for safe keeping. Front derailleur pull-ways.

1 Like

Has anyone experimented with using sram danglers on Shimano cassettes in the big number applications? Like 10-52 or therabouts? The guys at Ratio Tech say the spacing is not exactly the same.

12s?

Sorry. Yes, 12.

Yea, no, sorry. I know 11s is all the same. I know sram 12s mtb and road is supposed to be different, but no idea sram vs Shimano

Yeah. I hadn’t realised this. The ratchets they sell for wide range and XPLR are different.

I always wondered if you could do this. But I guess as far as scavenging bits off dead danglers go, it’s always gonna be the cage that’s toast ?

In answer to the question of whether or not sram and Shimano 12 speed wide range are cross compatible, prompted by Ratio Tech saying they were different, when used with their products. Responses from 3 different guys who are pretty onto it. From the antipodes. YMMV.

1. They work fine together. The best performing sram drivetrains run the Shimano cassette and chain, the way they shift is awesome.

2. The hot set up at the moment is SRAM wireless shifter and mech paired with a shimano cluster, chain and ring.

3. My favourite combo is XO cassette, chain, and shifter, with a shimano mech

3 Likes

i would LOVE to swap my sram shifter for a shimano shifter on my mtb. but also i’ve only been on that bike twice in as many years so :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I did some dangler (well shifter) wrangling to better understand pull ratios. I hooked up a Zee 10 speed shifter to some cheapo calipers.

Highlights:

• Shifter pull varies over the shift range, 3.1 - 3.8mm
  • This means rear pull ratio also varies
  • First and last shifts pull ~1mm extra since the limit stops do the work
  • If you measure the total pull including the end shifts and divide to get the average, you will get the wrong number.
  • Based on this data, Dynasys pull is average 3.5mm, pull ratio is 1.1
12 Likes

Wow. Very cool.

I guess that makes some sense, as the dangler cage plates travel in an arc. They’d need more cable pull to result in the same horizontal cog-to-cog movement. Probably some stuff going on with how the cable is anchored too?

This is some primo dangler wrangling

4 Likes

OK this makes sense to me on the last shift but not the first. Does it mean you need 1mm of slack in the cable to get the shift right? I always set the limit then pull the cable taught and then adjust tension, it sounds like this would result in a sloppy shift

You’re adjusting tension to shift the interior cogs. Plus you probably can’t really pull the cable tight.

1 Like