Dangler wrangling

Just sharing this here so I remember where it is.

1 Like

This is just cloud talk, but wondering about going to 1x13 with with the Ratio hacks.

I would want as low a gear as possible. Which looks like a 10-44.

If I wanted really low gears it would make more sense to stay with sram eh, and just live with the gear gaps ?

Are there options for converting existing hubs to be compatible with Ekar? It looks like they have two options. One that works with the 9 tooth and the other one.

Is the other one (10-44) compatible with anything else?

Kinda related, what is the biggest sized sprocket you can go 2x with on the back (ignoring Campy for a bit).

I have done 11-42 with THL and 34/46.

Has anyone tried a 44 on the back in two-by-ways ?

I guess the simple answer to that is GRX with sub-compact. Actually GRX just always makes the most sense. Just shitty that this bike came with sram and I just kept investing in it the sram ecosystem because it’s cheaper than a full conversion.

@EndpointBraden @Alvz

Campagnolo N3W freehubs aren’t as easy to find as XDR or Shimano but they exist. Since you have SRAM mechanical shifting on your bike already, you could use an Ekar cassette and this Ratio upgrade kit to use a Campy cassette, chain, SRAM everything else, and Ratio’s 1x chainring. Is that the direction you’re thinking?

I know a few folks who have run Shimano GRX 2x11 with the standard 2x crank, 11-42t cassette. Some decided to use a RoadLink or the equivalent to get the range they needed. SRAM’s 11-36t shifts great with GRX 2x as well.

my take(s): if you’re going 1x and have sram already, just go with the Ratio technologies Eagle upgrade kit to get a 10-52t cassette. Ekar kit is great and I still feel that 10-44t Ekar has the best combo of gearing and small jumps in the business, but maybe not the range you want.

if i were going 2x, i would buy the Ratio 2x12 upgrade kit, and get a SRAM Rival 43/30T crank and a 10-36t cassette. You continue to use your derailleurs and shifters, and Rival AXS parts are relatively inexpensive. Will that offer the low gear you want?

AXS XPLR?

Doesn’t your bike kindof hate cables anyway?

2 Likes

Those are both very sensible options. I didn’t know about rival 43/30 ! Aren’t there issues with 30 tooth clearance on the OPEN bb ? I know GRX is a bit wider.

It does. But I can’t make myself commit to electric gears because of a poor design. It’s like really admitting I made a poor purchase. Not there yet…

2 Likes

I think my next bike will be electric after many years of complaining about it.

4 Likes

Somehow I could see myself tapering off cables via an Archer, but their roadie solution looks less developed. Probably not got the range for poopbacking.

1 Like

I’m probably going GRX di2 on my next build. We’ll see if I actually follow through.

4 Likes

nah, SRAM spaces the chainrings out slightly more. They call it Wide or whatever. at least with electronic shifting, the gearing works very well.

my SO’s gravel bike has GRX di2. it is so, so nice. whenever im ready to move on from ekar, that’s probably what’s next for me too.

Make sure ya get the wide version of the crank AND pusher clamp. There’s a wide and normal version at each level iirc

1 Like

the wide pusher clamp is also useful for older road stuff on 135/142 frames

1 Like

Ah thanks guys. That was my next question. Assumed there must be wider pusher clamps. Maybe I should just accept that a gravel bike is not an mtb.

Just putting this in here for safe keeping. Front derailleur pull-ways.

1 Like

Has anyone experimented with using sram danglers on Shimano cassettes in the big number applications? Like 10-52 or therabouts? The guys at Ratio Tech say the spacing is not exactly the same.

12s?

Sorry. Yes, 12.

Yea, no, sorry. I know 11s is all the same. I know sram 12s mtb and road is supposed to be different, but no idea sram vs Shimano

Yeah. I hadn’t realised this. The ratchets they sell for wide range and XPLR are different.

I always wondered if you could do this. But I guess as far as scavenging bits off dead danglers go, it’s always gonna be the cage that’s toast ?