Dangler wrangling

the exact-actuation 2x10s RD is what I use personally well with my road shakes and is a solid piece.

My reply there was just going off your original query of “Can anyone tell meet if there is actually a 2x x-horizon x-actuation 11 speed dangler? (MTB)”

1 Like

Going through Shimano’s compatibility docs, it looks like since the Shimano M786 XT 10-speed dangler is compatible with recent 10-speed shifters that it could also be used with a M7000 11-speed shifter. If that’s really the case, that would let me use a M7000 shifter and an 11-34 HG700 cassette from my parts bin in a 2x setup on the incoming Polyvalent.

Then I guess some sort of friction nonsense for the CX70 pusher, also in the bin.

why do you all do this to yourselves. just do what i do and buy suspiciously cheap gray market takeoff group sets , then after a hundred miles find out why they got taken off (shitty pistons, in the case of the bike i just rode).

2 Likes

We simply don’t have time to get into this.

2 Likes

keeping our therapists rich.

“well, doc, I did it again! Three bikes worth of parts, not one of which works with any of the other without a bunch of other ratio modifying parts! I see no metaphoric resonances here!”

2 Likes

cross posting Sensah compatibility here for future reference: New & Interesting Bike Components - #3368 by drwelby

2 Likes

Derper mod for Sensah 2x (or 1x I guess if you want a right side dropper lever)

• Remove hood and cover plate
  • Swing lever inwards like you’re shifting to expose the upshift pawl pin
  • Push pin with thin object towards back of shifter (1)
  • Remove pin, you might be able to push it all the way, or grab the knurled end (2)
  • Click the lever like downshifting to free upshift pawl and spring
  • Remove pawl and spring (3) and you’re good to go
7 Likes

Some Sensah notes:

Rear D

• NOT clutched. Big cassettes will chain slap when you spin n’ stop
  • No detente on the cable tensioner. I think this was originally meant to be a MTB derailleur without an adjusting barrel
  • Cable routing exit is clever
  • Shifts 11-46 no problem

Shifters

• light upshift click feels great
  • on a flared bar the light upshift means you will drop multiple cogs accidentally if you as much as cover the brakes on bumpy surfaces
  • the tricksy shift lock that keeps you from shifting when you brake only works when you brake past a certain point. It can’t prevent you from braking so if you start a shift whether intended or not and then brake, you have wiggly levers. If you hate the levers moving on Shimanos, this feature is not a solution.
  • lever lock thing is plastic and I could see it exploding
  • long lever that gives you light shifts means large lever throw on the downshift. Makes me wonder if they’re using the same internal size as SRAM but with twice the leverage.
  • so far I’d have to say they’d suck in anything technical, too easy to upshift accidentally and too slow for emergency downshifts
  • shape is good
  • lots of options

Is this the mullet drivetrain solution we’ve been waiting for? Probably not.

You can combine it with the GX 2x10 rear derailleur to get a clutch, but you lose large cog capacity

You could hack the right side SRX lever to actuate a dropper and combine with blip buttons or a bar-end or even single speed.

8 Likes

More dangler wrangling:

Advent X RD + 11 speed mountain shifter + 11 cassette: works fine in the stand but doesn’t really gain you anything

“new” Shimano road RD + Campy 10 shifter + 10 or 11 non-Campy cassette: close but too sensitive to uneven click spacing of the shifter

3 Likes

A new dumb project: I am going to attempt to do a light shredportals treatment of this RD-M786 I scooped up on the cheap. I’ll be taking off the cage to de-ano it (either with some NaOH solution or oven cleaner) and I’m not sure how much else I can scrub clean with various grits of sandpaper before I lose my marbles. Has anyone here silver’d a black RD before?

2 Likes

ok i see you i hear you but have you thought about a wood grain vinyl wrap instead

13 Likes

I should paint it red and put fake crabon wrap on it like my high school walkman
EDIT: the other thing that’s funny about this is the shifter pull on dyna-sys shimano 10 (3.4) is almost the same as Shimano 6 (3.2) and Campy 8 (3.5) and I have both of those shifters around the house. Might try and see what happens for fun.

2 Likes

I’d like to subscribe to the silvering of the dangle thread

current situation, definitely found Too Strong of a NAoH (drano crystal from the hardware store on the corner, which conveniently has a Crime Aisle) solution and pitted the cage:

273456258_2767309333563877_1811036084136924540_n

If you’re curious, it was 240g water to 96g drano crystals, and I left it in for a couple of minutes. Definitely too strong! Will try a more weak solution and am just gonna toss the whole body in there

3 Likes

It’s been a long time since I last did it but I used oven cleaner and fine steel wool followed by wet sanding. It worked out all right but buffing with polishing compound as a last step will make it more shinier.

1 Like

Alright we have an update! Look at this and be amazed at everything going maybe not as wrong as possible but certainly in that direction.

Uploading: IMG_4600.jpeg…

The acid bath on the cages that was too strong … seems to have eaten off enough of the thread that it doesn’t want to re-attach into the body of the rear derailleur, no matter how much I finagle it. I will likely be getting a new SGS outer cage plate tomorrow. (It’s possible it’s a late in the day/chemical fumes issue but I don’t think so!)

Meanwhile, if that solution was too strong, the one for the body was I guess too weak. It would strip a little bit of the ano, but not another. So I would put the whole body back into the solution, but that would then make the part that had the ano stripped off already get a little pitted, while still not stripping the other little nooks and crannies. That is to say, there’s still a good amount of hand sanding and polishing in my future! I can’t wait.

1 Like

I quite like the main body. Looks very Mad-max.

If Mad Max had a derailleur what would it be ?

2 Likes

a stick?

6 Likes

Cool steampunk derailleur bro

1 Like

ordered a new outer cage to strip and picked up some metal polish! coming together!!