DEALS DEALS DEALS

Ash has some shimano brakes that just have some numbers, no series name. They have long, four finger levers. They’ve worked great with no problems at all and were less than a hundred for the pair but that was like seven years ago.

The Alfine S700 brakes are more on the mid/high end of the spectrum of Shimano brakes.

Alfine S700 caliper is literally identical to the XT M785 / SLX M675 / “non-series road” R785 calipers.

Alfine S700 lever is the same as the XT Trekking T785 lever.

9 Likes

Aren’t the R785 calipers the ones that leak?

1 Like

They all leak, eventually.

1 Like

Early batch- I think they sorted it out?

it’s weird because I have a pair of 785 calipers that have never leaked (and were older production), and a pair of slightly newer rs685 calipers that seem to leak a tiny bit regularly, so maybe it was just luck of the draw?

2 Likes

my 785 calipers definitely leak

for clarity in anecdotes: the Deore XT M785 and non-series road R785 are the exact same caliper, while the non-series road RS785 is a completely different caliper, so saying “785 calipers” isn’t particularly informative (thanks Shimano).

anecdotally, I have heard of tons of issues with the RS785 calipers. I feel like they show up on eBay with cracked pistons almost as much as every other shimano caliper combined.

5 Likes

ok well i have some kinda 785 calipers and they leak. so i guess i got the leaky ones.

2 Likes

just confirming- for shimano wet brakes is wet brakes and it doesn’t really matter what you push the fluid with?

Thanks for the clarification. The R vs RS nomenclature tripped me up.

Those piece of shit leaky 785 calipers are exactly why I posted above. Haunted me for a long time before I got XTR ones (which have been problem free for years).

11 Likes

Confirmed that my leaky set are RS785, my good set are R785, so anecdata++

The R785 came with my 785 di2 shifters, the RS785 calipers came with a set of RS685 hydro shakes IIRC.

3 Likes

Do you want to venture a guess at which ones he is talking about. I’d say that most of us know which ones he means.

thanks you

I didn’t, because they weren’t named, only alluded to.

1 Like

If you had the one in question, you would know. Adem also knows, and in fact stated it.

But I don’t own any of them. So I don’t know! That’s why I’m asking. Trying to find out if in fact Crustradamus has the common-leaky RS785s, or if he has an interesting case of leaky calipers that are of a different model, which would be nice to know.

/Adem explanation of M785, R785, RS785

I bolded the “Those”.
I could guess, but it’s not totally clear by those which calipers he means. Is it the low end shimanos from the first post? If so which x785 caliper are they? Does those refer to the list of calipers in Adem’s post, in which case I am to assume that the RS785 are the piece of shit leaky ones?

yeah those ones

6 Likes