Dickaleurs

yeah but i don’t think any of my wholesale accounts have it and i’m broke AF. just gonna wait to find some on the cheap or whatever

Contact the distro or a shop that sells a lot. Chances are they have warranty returns you can scavenge from. That’s how I got my short rails.

I installed the TiCycles dickaleur last night. It seems to work well, holds the bag steady. My only complaint is that the Ortlieb hooks are a little tall for the Orkbag that’s on this bike. I might try them on my Ozzette instead.

3 Likes

I swung by 333Fab shop a couple weeks ago to get a tour and check in with Max to see how he is doing. He is getting treatment for his cancer in January so I thought he could use some cash flow for the upcoming lull in business as he recovers. Picked up his super elegant 31.8mm decaleur solution for my Elephant and I absolutely love it.

I took a bunch of photos during the install process and some dithering about which way to use the clamp.
Here is Full album of all the decaleurs I’ve messed with.

3 Likes

It’s also interesting to compare the weight differences.
Note that the 333Fab weight includes the stem faceplate bolts that are removed when the Berthoud extra long faceplate bolts are used.

(several months later)

I didn’t get one (since I don’t use decaleurs) but Mark G (of decaleur and raleigh 650bification fame) played around with one and didn’t like it because it didn’t resist bag flop at all.

This was on a typical toy-sized rando rack with the bag hanging over the sides of the rack; it might not suck so much on a properly wide rack where the bag can’t flop off the side of the rack if it’s restrained, but I’d imagine the bag would rotate sideways around the bayonet and end off pointing down and either to the left or to the right when a corner slides off the edge of the rack and all the rando crap in it sags it down.

Didn’t pass the gugie test

Dockit was always dumb, the inception thread was packed with such stupidity I’m amazed it ended up a semi-legitimate product.

Bike product has marketing as “reimagined” = it’s crap.

1 Like

Was just typing out a long post with the convoluted method I was going to try to use for a diy dickaleur, but then found these:

Edit:

Even more useful…

1 Like

Oh, geez, those are ugly. If your DIY efforts use those, please let me make one for you instead.

I used two of these sourced cheap from aliexpress for my DIY decauler. The gopro attachment part is held on with two m4 screws so once removed it opens up mounting ~60mm below the center of the handlebar. I used aluminum plate inserts cut with keymod style holes to engage standoff screws in the gopro mount. Bag was clipped in at the front then slotted into the rear and held down with integral button snap. Worked fine, was a much larger time investment than I anticipated.

2 Likes

Those go pro mounts are nice looking.

Gonna try this thing out I made from a steerer bell mount and some rack struts.

EDIT: success! Wish it was a little more laterally stiff but for $0 I can’t complain.

6 Likes

0 dollars is best dollars

1 Like

What is the Tarck approved dickalwur right now?

A rack that’s wide enough to support the bag without it falling off to one side or the other?

A mgugie-style V-decaleur with a rail sized to fit ortloeb bag clamps is your best bet if you have a quill stem or put spacers under your threadless stem.

1 Like

is there an “ideal” height for an ortlieb rail for a dickleur? id assume that if the flap and pockets (if applicable) allow, about Z=+3/4B where B is bag height and Z follows the same axis that my body is on, but i’ve never set up a proper rando bag properly so before i melt and drill…
despite the fact that the drive spindle on a bike is parallel with the ground and oriented 90* to the direction of usual travel, id say that the human dictates the axes, but i’d love for @drwelby to let me know what’s what. does the fork steerer become the spindle?

As high as you get it on the bag without jamming up the rear flap, so Z < B - (F + (o/2)) where o is the clip height.

Can we settle this once and for all?

X axis: stem length
Z axis: bar width
Y axis: rusty stack height

Hello, missed this one:

hmmmmmm, what looks like brazing standard compressed air fittings to some cut up bolts, then using them to hold your stem together, what could go wrong? (well temper embrittlement for one).

Note it really depends on the materials involved, stainless fasteners might just soften a bit, but yeah

3 Likes