Did you just ShartQ?

I’m going to use this as an excuse to post this old bike, and to say that I miss it. I should assemble another one. It really was the perfect mile or three cruiser, great for small grocery or take-out runs. Yes the moustache bars were kinda dumb and future iteration it did have more normal swept bars and mtn levers.

IMO basket+bungee+messenger bag in the basket (Soma Lucas+basket is a great suggestion). A bungee is great for stretching over awkward loads, great for quickly stuffing your long-sleeve under once you warm up, great for holding a half-open bag of snacks, great for take-out containers. Nice to be able to pull out your mess bag and wear it for extra cargo capacity.

Having a dedicated U-lock holder always was nice. I’m not sure why it feels so much more convenient that having to pull it out of a bag or whatever, but that’s my experience. Even the typical Krypto supplied frame mount bracket is better than nothing. Or back pocket if you want that messenger cred I guess.

2 Likes

I use coffee bean chaff left from home roasting. Might try scrap PLA from 3d printing next.

1 Like

Best grits: https://ansonmills.com/products/8

Probably inappropriate for this use case, however.

1 Like

As a grits connoisseur and sixth generation southerner, I really recommend you try bloody butcher corn. protein content is substantially higher and flavor is much richer. It also makes life-changing cornmeal for cornbread.

5 Likes

oh I need to try those
shipping is unfortunately as expensive as the product

The Dimension urban cruiser bars in 45mm rise bar / 24-deg sweep would be worth looking at as well. They’re wider at 618mm and on whatbars dot com if you want to compare to the Milan.

2 Likes

Imma try your grits, but I’m not fucking around about Anson Mills being amazing:

Anson Mills coarse grits are produced from field ripened Carolina Gourdseed White or John Haulk Yellow dent mill corns, each prized historically for exceptional flavor and texture—and each, until recently, nearly extinct.

Best grits I’ve ever made.

These are my go to grits. Really just because I grew up down the road a piece from the mill.

I’ve had gourdseed. Also a good corn. Maybe slightly better for grits than Butcher, but Butcher is corn bread king. In reality, basically all heirloom dent corns are so much wildly better than modern corn its just silly.

1 Like

My commuter bike has an microshift 10speed friction shifter with optional indexing… Ive fooled with it but have a problem where when i hammer/stand up on the pedals it slightly shifts or moves and drops out of gear which is not great as its usually when I enter an intersection at a light. Newer cable and Ive tightened/adjust everything several times. What am i doing wrong?

Riding a bike that planes

4 Likes

Is the bolt in the friction shifter tight?

This is a heavy 80’s fuji frame!

@Banjo Yep. I checked that. I tightened the bolt on the shifter all the way down. I noticed it’s worse when its not setup as indexed but straight friction. I also feel like if I hold my thumb on the shift lever it helps keep it from happening so im almost wonder if the shifter level itself is moving slightly

I’ve been getting the same thing after converting two friction bikes, and setting up a third, to 10 spd. It’s happening on three different frames with different danglers and different shifters, so I just figured it was me being inelegant with shifting and guessing that the clogs being closer together than 8 or 9 spd make it more likely to happen. IDK. But if there’s an actual reason that would be great to figure out.

Glad you mentioned grip length, looks like the same as the porteur which I had some issues with putting a shifter on my wife’s bike. This bike will either be singlespeed or fixed gear, or maybe downtube shifted 1x5 if I ever get around to building a wheelset for it.

Big question is how this bike will handle with a front load. Current Schwinn has a ~74 degree HTA which keeps things reasonable but rando bag plus 6 pack is all it wants to do before things get weird.

137 vs 139 I guess I probably need to measure my grocery bags.

Thanks. I’ve got the VO Constructeur that I’m hoping will stiffen up the front end like it has on the Schwinn. Rack locking is the main reason I want to build this frame back up, my chrome bike I just can’t lock up outside a grocery store without constantly worrying about it getting damaged.

1 Like

Yes, sure.

Your rear triangle is still real noodly and those bikes aren’t great for anything over 9sp

Ahh that makes sense and seems to match @Bootus experience. Theres not really a solution other than going back to a 9 speed cassette then?

stay seated? replace bike?

Oh dog I hope not. The rest of the 10 speed friction experience has been good enough atmo that I’ve just accepted it and to get gud. I have been wondering if trying an 11 speed chain might make any difference.

It’s hard to say if all those bikes experience it equally or just the one I ride the most with the 34 YO Suntour thumbies and the new Altus dangler. Maybe the cables on the bike are too slick for them shifters and the friction shifters need a little friction in the system, yo dawg style.

Oh, now realizing it’s been four frames. Two Rivs (Sam and Rosco Platypus), a Polyvalent, and the original Endpoint day ruiner.

as a die hard 10s frictionerd, I notice some cassettes and chains seem to be worse about it. I’ve been really happy with shimano cassetttes and kmc chain - seems like fewer ghost shifts.

1 Like