Did you just ShartQ?

how small do those things fold down? could i get one into an overhead compartment? would TSA let me through with a chainring?

Nope, forgot I had one mixed in with papers in my backpack and TSA was not amused

ugh these things are so sick i’ve always wanted one for travel purposes

who sells bags that store the entire brompton for air travel?

2 Likes

Yeah I’m definitely feeling the Brompton, even though it seems ridiculous to spend ~$1500 on a tiny bike to leave in my car.

I found some China clones online but shipping is like 1.5 to 2 months and I want instant gratification.

Might use my REI dividend and grab a Tern.

1 Like

sup has the official one. Has taken it internationally, it was still a pain to lug around like that and it doesn’t pack down small at all.

You’d be better off folding it and tying the fold together with some voile straps and checking without any bag, that way you can ride away without having to carry the bag, and you can still chuck it on a train / in a taxi as is. Plus the baggage throwers are less likely to wreck it if they can see what it is.

1 Like

pre 9/11 this was a pretty common thing to do apparently. but I can’t imagine it fitting in most overhead compartments these days.

My new job is at a Brompton dealer and I’ve been eyeing them pretty hard. They’re actually really fun to ride compared to most folding bikes I’ve tried, and you sure can get a lot of little Ti parts for them.

My tandem needs a 34mm seatpost collar which doesn’t appear to exist anywhere. Tried a 34.9 and it’s bigger than I’d like to shim. Any ideas?

Oh this is super helpful thanks

Have definitely seen a photo of a folding bike in an overhead bin in the past few months.

Get a tern and put a sandwich sticker on it.

Also I think you can gate check your brompton.

1 Like

Got a tern, need sandwich sticker now

Since my workplace is pretty close to the airport I’ve noticed quite a few airline attendants on Tinder and a sizeable portion of them have profile photos where they are laying down up in the overhead bins. Made me wonder about the wild world of single airline attendants killing time in grounded planes.

4 Likes

I just snapped one of the throttle cables on my moto. It’s got a barrel end molded onto both ends. Anyone ever put together a double ended cable?

I’ve made brass ends and soldered them on.

not the crew rest areas?

(I once managed to get up into the baggage rack on the BNE-SYD train during a uni field trip)

1 Like

yeah i am highly suspicious and also suspect the flight attendants are in the crew bunks
international overheads release from the top and they’re only about 2-3 bags wide, so you’d have to curl up into a ball
old domestic yeah i guess a tiny woman could fit up there but it would be TIGHT

Yeah, they are basically in the fetal position with their arms and legs sticking out. They clearly needed a lot of help getting up inside. Mostly the more petite women dressed in their uniforms. definitely not crew rest areas since you can see the coach seating below them.

1 Like

Not my careful use of “ok” and not “great” when describing long tail kid hauling capabilities.

I love squirrel’s tidbits of baffling and yet interesting information about the world of internet dating in Seattle

7 Likes