Did you just ShartQ?

Delighted/horrified to see this thread

4 Likes

Same ERD (or real close) and spoke count will work with a swap. I bet they stuck with the same dimensions for a new model.

This page lists rims by ERD, so you can find a match easy.

Thanks babby

Use Stan’s tape or just regular 3M strapping tape.

Goddamnit, where is Gunther?

And where is Pubes?

The site was down for a whole week. They probably moved on.

I imagine that as soon as pubes realized that he couldn’t get access the site like a week ago, he completely ditched this place for good

#lifestylesoftherichandthefamous

just messaged pubes.

1 Like

I can’t get a starnut to stay stuck in the steer tube of my redline monocog. I’ve tried several over the years (even ones marketed for steel forks), but none let me get the headset properly adjusted. I got an expander plug one from Josh last night, and it doesn’t expand enough to get anywhere near tight.

This is a standard 1 1/8 steel steer tube, but I guess the walls are thinner than normal so the id is slightly larger.

Any ideas?

Have you taken a ‘steel’ starnut and bent the tabs out to increase its diameter?

It shouldn’t need that much grip as it’s only setting preload, but can you not even get that setup ok (i.e. your fork-headset interface is super draggy)? If you can, are you tightening your stem enough?

Maybe try a star nut intended for a 1 1/4" steerer? A few minutes of Googling seems to indicate that there are some generic/aheadset ones available for a couple bucks and then a Chris King one for $12.

I feel like I can properly adjust the headset occasionally. But a few rides later, it’s loose. When I try to adjust it again, the starnut starts to pull out. A loose stem could be part of the problem, but I’ve never had that issue on other bikes nor with this stem on different bikes.

This could be a thing. I was hoping the expander plug would be the solution, but maybe time for more shopping.

I’ll take a star nut over an expander plug wherever I can get away with it.

carbon paste on your steerer and tighten your stem more. If riding your bike is moving the starnut, something isn’t right as you should be able to remove the top cap after setting preload and tightening the stem.

Now that there’s no starnut in at all, I’ll have to try something. I guess the 1 1/4 thing. I’ll do carbon paste at the same time.

Is it normal to need to tighten a stem more on a steel steer tube than on carbon or aluminum to keep it from moving?

Probably not? Friction paste is probably your friend here, but I wonder if either the stem or the steerer are not sized correctly.

But probably big star nut and friction paste and yolo.

You could see if a stem lock is long enough… https://www.danscomp.com/products/309016/Profile_Stem_Lock.html

Or we could tack weld the starnut in the fork.

What roof racks does Tarck like? I’d prefer fork-mount (front wheel off) and would really like it to be thru-axle compatible without any adaptors.

Right now I’m looking at the Rockymounts Swithhitter and Thule ThruRide.

Leaning towards the Rockymounts right now, since it’s a bit lower-profile, but the Thule would have the advantage of using the same keys as my crossbars. I get a discount on Thule, but it’s more expensive to start with, so the price difference is negligible.

Why are you using tubes and cloth tape? Is it 1989?