Did you just ShartQ?

After driving a ~10ft tall van around for the past few years I’ve found that there’s surprisingly few low bridges in California.

Best part about this is you can lash your trump flag to your bike and it will do double duty.

3 Likes

Sayin

That would be an odd way to bring a trump flag to a flag burning…

Oh fudge. So I seated the tires with a tube, deflated and removed the tube and then attempted to seat it again and no dice even with a Joe Blow. The bead that I did not break to remove the tube is very firmly seated.

I’m going to go to the local bike shop and use their compressor

Do you have any CO2 cartridges? It might seem a little wasteful but so is driving to a shop to use a compressor shartmo

Someone should make an adaptor for SodaStream bottles to presta valve so you can seat tires.

5 Likes

You might want to try pulling the bead manually up onto the shelf as much as you can especially right around the valve stem, you might be able to get half of the loose bead up there and that should be enough

Refilling those things is expensive like whoa.

Yeah that’s what I was trying to no effect.

@Dr_Shart_Attack_PhD I don’t think a CO2 is going to provide greater flow/volume than a Joe Blow charged to 120 psi?

1 Like

Does your JB go up to 160psi? If so, I’ve found that some tires need that extra “oomph” to seat.

Schwalbe has one you can charge with a floor pump. Topeak might have one, too. It’s called the Tire Blaster or something.

I’ve seen video of it done with a 2L soda bottle too.

It does, I was actually concerned about blasting 160 psi into the tire so I only went to 120…but I’ll try it! I’m kind of bummed I bought this dumb pump and I’m going to the shop anyway.

Try it with 160 psi and position the wheel so that the valve is at either 6-o’clock or 12-o’clock (this seems to better direct the air throughout the tire, helping it seat more easily).

i’ve had OK luck with using zip ties around the tire and rim to compress the tire onto the rim a little bit more. I only ever did this with wild hand pumping though, so probably wouldnt try to blast 160psi into it like that

I think part of the problem is that these tires were suspiciously easy to mount for a tubeless ready tire, so there’s no chance they are going to form a seal without serious intervention

Having manually seated and unseated one side-bead of the tire, I find that if I have the valve stem at 12 oclock and I put pressure on it with my hand as I release the air from the canister, it works. One side has to be still fully seated though. I haven’t had to resort to multiple additions of tape, and thats with some pretty floppy tires. The heavy duty ones you can mount with a floor pump and no gizz.
TC. I am a long-time tubeless hater, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Blast it with the valve core removed for more air flow. If you feel like it, a bit of dish soap on the bead creates a tiny bit of an initial seal and helps it slide on up to the shelf. Also, try bouncing the wheel a bit as you are releasing air into it to create some more pressure inside. I sometimes do a bit of a bounce while simultaneously pumping with a floor pump to get that first bit of seal happening.

How wide are these tires?

They are 26 mm tires, Vittorias.

I’ll try some soap too.