Did you just ShartQ?

Went back to the shop and exchanged for a longer chain and all seems to be well.

1 Like

the new-to-me dyno wheel/hub I got seems to have imploded spontaneously. haven’t ridden the bike since Friday, July 22nd and now the front hub is making a large amount of squeaking noise and has a lot of resistance. never experienced anything like this before. SP hub. I did put a different derailleur on it and did a spin around the block before I noticed the problem

did I cause this by over tightening my axle?

1 Like

Anecdote time.

Two sps of mine have shit the bed. Unlike in your case they just quietly stopped putting out AC. SON28 which i got next is still going strong.

That happened to another SP I had

you did not

1 Like

I had exactly this on a SON28

via corrosion and/or violence, the permanent magnets can come loose to start physically and inductively dragging with a lot of bonus friction

after months of this with the hub occasionally working and Peter White threatening to cancel my wholesale account if I made a warranty claim and the hub functioned in his testing, eventually all the magnets broke loose and the hub spun freely with no resistance whatsoever or electricity generated either

12 Likes

well I ordered a new hub and a new rim, but I guess I’ll keep riding this wheel for now

Has anyone figured out a handlebar bag stabilizer thingy that can be transferred between bikes as easily as handlebar bag? I’ve seen that thing that replaces a headset stack spacer, but swapping that between 3-4 bikes is not what I’m looking for. Tool-less swapping between bikes is what I’m looking for.

I think I may just need to make something that straps to the stem or something.

This is for a Swift Catalyst I have, if that helps/matters.

Klickfix bag?

The stiffener is built into the bag, all you need are (ugly) mounts for each bike then

Edited after your reply…

Looking for tool-less and also something that can be used with any of my bikes and any of my handlebar bags, which is just a Swift Catalyst and a Roadrunner Burrito for now.

I have an idea of a piece of thick aluminum sheet that bumps up against the back side of the bag and is held to the stem/headset stack spacer via a velcro or voile strap.

This would be something to take the place of the elastic cord that’s usually wrapped around the stem on the stock Catalyst?

Yes, and that shock cord just pulls the bag up into the steer tube, I’m looking to support the bag by pushing it out away from the steer tube so no part of the body of the bag comes back past the handlebars.

When the bag is pulled against the stem/steer tube my knees hit the back of the bag when I’m out of the saddle.

1 Like

Been thinking of something similar to that for rear use to push it back a bit from the seatpost for less leg rubbin’ on my bike. lol that I didn’t even notice the cord was disconnected until I got home.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.31.19 PM

A cheap test might be some sort of rigid tube to put that cord through, so the tube spaces the bag from the bike and can still be used to wrap around the head tube or steerer on the bike side.

Riv’s got you covered

1 Like

Yes! A tube with the shock cord inside!

I have a nice long chunk of carbon steer tube at the studio I can cut up for this. Just gotta notch one side to fit up against a 9/8" spacer and I’m set.

Thanks!

Also, in my search I’ve found solutions that clamp on to the seat rails to hold a rear bag away from the seatpost.

1 Like

I’ve done this before! Midway through a tour, I got fed up with a Carradice bouncing off my legs, so I took a travel shampoo bottle, cut off the top and bottom, and threaded the bag’s seat post strap through it. It was the rack equivalent of shift-with-a-stick.

See the green thing?

Then I got a Bagman rack.
Then I got a smaller tent and an Oveja Negra butt rocket.

8 Likes

Who was that guy that made the thing that goes on the saddle rails

Had a rando-touring bike co and cool bespoke swift bags for sale in clown colors

Ocean Air Cycles?

3 Likes

if you use these, dunk them in paraffin or mineral oil or something maybe so they don’t fall apart when wet

2 Likes

Wrap in twine, apply shellac.

2 Likes