Disco Slippers

welcome to nutarck!

hey thanks! still gotta figure this new forum shit out. I got internet lazy for a bit and then just didn’t quite have the activation energy to learn something new when I pulled up tarck again after a month and everything was different :colbert:

nerdy lake/boa minutia (perfect for tarck?)

I’ve tried on a few pair of Lake MX models this week and noticed they use different BOA dials. The MX237s have the twist tight / pull release version, and the MX241s have a twist tight / twist loose / pull release which was really nice for micro-adjust (at least in the house). Propaganda suggests they are starting to introduce the fancier dial on the new MX237s but not sure when that happens exactly

1 Like

People that like BOA: are you using them for CX or MTB? My cords always seem to snap in run-up/hike situations.
The boa shoes are very comfy, but sitting in my bikemess because my lace-up shoes don’t snap. (@blackholelectron I’m talking XC7s and XC5s. The XC7s feel amazing, but BOA…F that S)

Not sure if there is but maybe because Boa laces have the ability to tighten the entire shoe with one mechanism whereas the typical clicky strap also requires one or two additional velcro straps down towards the toe.
It could be argued that the normal clicky + velcro has better ability to be tight in one area and looser in another though so that might be preferable to some.

Oh man! I’d love to have twist loosen BOA on my Lakes (have MX 237 with the old style). Couldn’t find any Lakes that had that when I bought mine. Guessing they’re not going to be backwards compatible because reasons.

But, might end up giving up on the Lakes because the heels are too loose for me. My perfect shoe right now would have:

• Specialized heel cup
  • Lake toe box and volume (from non-wide widthway)
  • Righty tighty lefty loosey BOA

Think I’ve tried most of the big/main brands now except PI and Shimano.

So I bought a pair of Five Ten Freeriders a few months ago and actually dig them a lot, but they are ugly as hell and attract skater shoe jokes. I am really bad at shoes, can anybody point me to what the least embarrassing Five Tens are that are good to ride and wear all day at work?

The Freerider Pros don’t look quite as skatey and are stiffer than the regular Freeriders (or wait for the Sleuth DLX).

petition for the tarck lexicon:
laces = laceys
boa = twisties
sidi-style buckle = clickies

• yes
  • no
  • only when drunk

0 voters

I remember you mentioning these before and they looked cool. Do you know a release date and/or how they compare to the regular Sleuth?

They’re based on adidas’ Samba. Media samples are due to arrive next month. I think general availability is early 2019.

See: New Five Ten Kestrel Pro Boa, Sleuth DLX and TLD special edition models | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

510 really needs to give their shoe graphics designer the boot

2 Likes

Wait til you see some of the competition’s shoes. It must be a law that any flat-pedal shoe must look like an early 00s skate shoe.

Of course, there’s always this:

1 Like

5 10 shoes look stupid. I have a pair of districts. And they are solidly better than… not wearing shoes. I still kind of hate them. And if anyone else came out with a competitive shoe that didn’t look stupid I would re-up on that.

There are a bunch of new (flat-pedal) shoes slated to be released in the coming months. Some of them have questionable aesthetics, but some of them are pretty neutral looking.

I’ve considered trying these etnies, but I suspect they’ll be a little too floppy for spirited riding.

https://www.etnies.com/us/marana/

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-sleuth-slip-on-woven-mountain-bike-shoe/FT84.html?dwvar_FT84_color=Grey&cgid=men-bike-shoes#start=37

ohhhh these look awful.

But they feel great.

I like mine.

Easy on/off and good traction for bouldering days too.

Velcro = pullies?

hook-n-loopies

2 Likes

yeah hook and loopies is where it’s at

2 Likes