Does anyone ever feel like absolute crap if they don't get to ride every 1-2 days?

I’ve noticed this lately: I used to ride 20 miles a day every weekday maybe one day off and then go for longer rides on either sat or sun. I had an awesome schedule and diet.
Now that I’m prepping for my mcats, I don’t ride nearly as much and have sadly opted to drive the car. What I’ve noticed is actually really worrying: After riding like that before, now that I’m not riding i just all around feel AWFUL (worryingly depressed, even) when I’m not riding or at the VERY minimum running (which I hate, it hurts my shins really badly on concrete)

Does anyone else notice they get irritable, annoyed and just all around become a really not fun person when they don’t get to ride?

I’m REALLY happy spring is here. I’ll be riding a whole lot more, now!
I’m totally feeling great.
It’s made me realize that I really need to move to a more bike friendly city so I can get my workout in.

+1
not riding sucks.
unfortunately, I’ve been out due to lack of a tire.

Yep, I do. I didn’t get much sleep last night, but still couldn’t figure out why I was so ridiculously exhausted this afternoon. Rode to a friend’s place and felt totally refreshed. Just rode back and I could probably stay up another hour or two if I wanted, but I really should get a full night o’ sleep.

I don’t feel shitty when I can’t ride, I just get really damn restless after one or two days. Even if the weather is absolutely terrible, I kind of have to get out and ride around for a while.

When I don’t ride my bike I feel like I have way to much energy and I can’t concentrate on anything.

Yes!

Haven’t had the feeling in a while though, I haven’t had a day without being on my bike for a while now. Riding my bike has been integrated into my daily life since i don’t own a car.
I think i would suffer from serious bike withdrawal if I went away for a couple of days.

i was in the states for one month with no bike. it sucked!

I start feeling really lazy and useless. What really brings it to a head is when i have to pay to get somewhere. Even if it’s cheap public transit. After getting around for free for so long, it just kills me to pay.

It isn’t so much riding, but if I don’t get exercise (that I enjoy) every couple days I feel like crap. Even when I am going through really bad times, if I exercise, it totally helps keep me in good spirits and the depression at bay.

YES. That and just the general inconvenience of public transit. A friend of mine last night was trying to figure out a bus route to a place she hadn’t been and it took her like 15 minutes to figure that out, then she’ll be waiting at bus stops for a solid half hour today to go, like, six miles. I’ve been trying to get her to at least try riding her bicycle somewhere, but she seems to have a bad case of the trafficphobia.

I was going to say the same thing. I’m sure part of it is the fact that you love your bike, but a bigger part is probably the fact that you’ve become an endorphin addict.

I can’t stand waiting for the bus, standing there like a moron waiting to travel on someone else’s terms. Then when you get on it lurches off slowly towards your destination, and you have to sit there and breathe diesel fumes and the germs of sick people. Fuck that.

Not riding a bike isn’t really an option for me any more.
I guess I could take the train or something, but I’d feel really depressed.
When I sprained my ankle on new year’s I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to ride but I made it work my riding the xtra for a couple weeks and basically only pedaling with my right foot.

Also, @ the OP, if you live in texas you are not allowed to bitch about “winter” much less let it scare you off your bike. Sack up motherfucker!

Also, riding a bike is the only thing that has the ability to give me a feeling of freedom living in the city where everything is timed and controled and the police cameras flash their insidious blue lights from the tops of light posts.
When I’m on my bike, I become invisible. I silently slip between the cracks. As the fastest thing on a road full of stationary cars I float by at a speed barley preceptable to an eye trained to watch only the slow moving hulk in front of it. Was I really there? Or was I the hallucination of a poisoned mind? A glimpse of a better way.
When I’m on the bike, I’m off the grid and out of the system. I am unregulated and untraceable. When I’m on the bike I am free.

That pretty much sums it up. Sprinting out of the parking lot after work feels soooooo good.

[quote=Rusty Piton]Also, riding a bike is the only thing that has the ability to give me a feeling of freedom living in the city where everything is timed and controled and the police cameras flash their insidious blue lights from the tops of light posts.
When I’m on my bike, I become invisible. I silently slip between the cracks. As the fastest thing on a road full of stationary cars I float by at a speed barley preceptable to an eye trained to watch only the slow moving hulk in front of it. Was I really there? Or was I the hallucination of a poisoned mind? A glimpse of a better way.
When I’m on the bike, I’m off the grid and out of the system. I am unregulated and untraceable. When I’m on the bike I am free.[/quote]

How long have you been waiting to post that?

[quote=Rusty Piton]Also, riding a bike is the only thing that has the ability to give me a feeling of freedom living in the city where everything is timed and controled and the police cameras flash their insidious blue lights from the tops of light posts.
When I’m on the bike, I’m off the grid and out of the system. I am unregulated and untraceable. When I’m on the bike I am free.[/quote]

Eloquent! I’d sig that if it would fit. I may still.

There are places in Texas that get pretty bitter during the winter. <10F with winds that tear the warmth from your core. Then during the summer, you get the joy of it being >100F most days. This is not the case in California.

I quit smoking a few months ago and I’ve been feeling somewhat depressed as a result. It’s been a struggle. I’ve replaced nicotine with endorphins. I’ve put in just over 1000 miles in that time. I take rest days once a week, but I usually end up on the bike, still. If not, I’ll go to the climbing gym or something.

I think nicotine and endorphins go great together. I love a hard ride home after work (usually pretty late for me) followed by coffee, a cigarette, and a few pages of whatever book I’m reading on my front porch.

I think nicotine and endorphins go great together. I love a hard ride home after work (usually pretty late for me) followed by coffee, a cigarette, and a few pages of whatever book I’m reading on my front porch.[/quote]

I hate you now.

Sorry, dude… just how I’m livin’.