double strap... soma lov m or hate m

So I looking for some double straps and going to get the 4x cage, and maybe some new pedals. so I dont want to spend a lot on the straps. what do you think of the soma’s? while we are at it what pedals do you like?

I just bought a pair of MKS GR-9 pedals and I like them a lot. They are really comfortable.

Soma toe clips will kill you. They break right as you need them.

The general consensus has always been that Soma’s double-straps suck.

Have you tried a quality single yet? Something layered like Cinelli’s?

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main ... cts_id=653

i have those cinellis. soooo good. i think good toe-straps are one of the most underrated parts you can buy. not having to worry about your straps slipping or breaking, and having a good snug fit is so crucial. i was riding on cheap christophe leather 10$ straps for about 6 months and they were constantly coming loose or breaking.

I have the soma clips because I have fat feet and a monster big toe and MKS ones seem to crush em, clips haven’t broke yet. I did break some soma doubles though, not so cool. for pedals, MKS touring again because of the fatness.

the clips break or the straps?

[quote=“thanks”]i have those cinellis. soooo good. i think good toe-straps are one of the most underrated parts you can buy. not having to worry about your straps slipping or breaking, and having a good snug fit is so crucial.

Yeah, this is why I am finally going for a double setup! I might just get the double cage with standard single straps.

i like plastic cages. i have size 13 feet though and the metal ones always squeezed the shit out of my shoes. plus if you break 5 dollar plastic cages you arent upset.

[quote=“balonya”][quote=“thanks”]i have those cinellis. soooo good. i think good toe-straps are one of the most underrated parts you can buy. not having to worry about your straps slipping or breaking, and having a good snug fit is so crucial.

Yeah, this is why I am finally going for a double setup! I might just get the double cage with standard single straps.[/quote][/quote]

Doubles are over rated and you can get just as much security from singles as you can from doubles.

I’ve had to resort to taking nylon straps and sewing them on permanently to avoid ripping the strap through the buckle with my pulling foot on skids. MKS Singles, Erebi Sprints and the ALE leather ones have all failed me. I think the next one to try are Toshi singles, but I don’t have much hope.

My soma doubles have been treating me just fine. Only recently have they begun to slip a bit, after having put in a good amount of time and daily riding. Admittedly, I am a big fan of double straps. Unfortunately, the best one’s, noticeable difference too in my opinion, are toshis.

Good use for buttons.

economical and environmental

and +1 on buttons. too many people simply slide their foot in. tighten that shit!

Not to be a dick, but pedal cage =

Toeclip=

[quote=“Bandwitch”]economical and environmental

and +1 on buttons. too many people simply slide their foot in. tighten that shit!

[/quote]

what’d you use as a doubler there? i’m going to try this setup out.

I can support that, my double Somas snapped.

TOSHI’S son.

[quote=“delicious”][quote=“Bandwitch”]economical and environmental

image[/quote]

what’d you use as a doubler there? i’m going to try this setup out.[/quote]

old tube i had lying around. i used a BMX tube cause it was wider than any of the roads i had (obviously). i basically just cut a section a couple of inches long, notched it for the clip, then superglued down the middle to create channels for each strap.