Dynamo help

shutupandtakemymoney.png

From peter W.

So not super duper fancy beam angle change.

This would be great if it didn’t have that daytime running light bullshit. It is between this and the edelux for my next bike and if there isn’t a workaround it is going to be the edelux. Also ugly. Also I don’t care about charging my fucking phone while riding.

that’s probably because you don’t ride out fucking far enough.
i just got the b version of this light, i haven’t had a chance to take it out it on a dark road but it is a huge improvement over my cyo light, which i had the commuter version of.

I run my dynamo lights turned on at all times, day or night. It really seems to help cars see me, especially at the morning and evening commute times. Noticeably better than without IMHO.

Plus the advancements in modern hub quality + low LED load really make the whole daytime running lights argument pretty absurd. If you want to argue visual aesthetics, mounting style and gimmicky features, that’s a whole different bag.

turn your phone off brah.

A better argument would be that you can charge your Garmin during PBP or something so you can post your KOMs on Strava later.

It makes sense for commuting or riding on roads with lots of traffic but otherwise it is annoying that there is no way to turn it off. Sometimes even the barely perceptible drag or the thought that yes the hub is engaged in producing electricity is, well, a fucking drag. A switch would just be one less thing that can break. Christ it is the same mentality that wills German luxury cars into existence.

Don’t get me wrong: the design of the LED/reflector makes me want to buy the thing. I’m just wary of most of the other BS.

I can’t tell the difference between the light on and off. Obviously I can see the light, but there’s no pedaling drag. I just leave it on all the time.

yup

truly dumb question – are dynamo hubs directional? have an (orc) rack with light mount on the left, so would like the power output to be on that side to make wiring easier

Many newer hubs are bidirectional but this is very hub dependent question that, unfortunately, can’t be generalized

I have a Shimano Alfine from 4 or 5 years ago (same as the 3N72 or 80?) and can definitely tell. It isn’t much but it is there. These are supposed to be more draggy than Schmidt, SP Dynamo, et al, tho.

Many newer hubs are bidirectional but this is very hub dependent question that, unfortunately, can’t be generalized[/quote]

it’s one of the handspun prebuilt wheels, shimano 3n something or other, from 2-3 years ago

turn your phone off brah.
A better argument would be that you can charge your Garmin during PBP or something so you can post your KOMs on Strava later.
[/quote]
you must be young or not have enough responsibility/people that say they/people that care about you. sure, a 20-30 mile banger is great carrying minimal stuff but when you’re out logging miles and miles its pretty stupid, in this day and age, to not carry a smartphone with a digi map or something to call in wifeflight when your bike is unrepairable. im sure you’ll get there someday and you’ll regret typing these words. so i quoted them if you ever decide to change them. they will be here for all of internet eternity.

that said, get me into a usb port with a battery back up.

What I’ve done with my personal racks with left-hand mounting is zip ties, lots and lots of zip ties; I run the wiring up the right side fork leg struts, around the rear of the rack, then forward and down the back strut to the light mount fixture.

I have a Shimano Alfine from 4 or 5 years ago (same as the 3N72 or 80?) and can definitely tell. It isn’t much but it is there. These are supposed to be more draggy than Schmidt, SP Dynamo, et al, tho.[/quote]

Did you realize it was draggy before you read the VBQ article about how all dynohubs except the Schmidt suck?

[quote=Roxy]
it’s one of the handspun prebuilt wheels, shimano 3n something or other, from 2-3 years ago[/quote]
You can look up the tech documentation here: http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs
Most of them state the preferred direction.

[quote=lukasz]
I have a Shimano Alfine from 4 or 5 years ago (same as the 3N72 or 80?) and can definitely tell. It isn’t much but it is there. These are supposed to be more draggy than Schmidt, SP Dynamo, et al, tho.[/quote]
What lamp are you using?

The rectangular looking Lumotec IQ Fly.

[quote=wintrotta]you must be young or not have enough responsibility/people that say they/people that care about you. sure, a 20-30 mile banger is great carrying minimal stuff but when you’re out logging miles and miles its pretty stupid, in this day and age, to not carry a smartphone with a digi map or something to call in wifeflight when your bike is unrepairable. im sure you’ll get there someday and you’ll regret typing these words. so i quoted them if you ever decide to change them. they will be here for all of internet eternity.

that said, get me into a usb port with a battery back up.[/quote]

You can’t imagine living without a cell phone but I’m the young one? All I said is if you want your phone to last when you’re out on a looong ride (and I assume we’re talking like 3 days here cuz otherwise get a better phone?) then turn it off.

I had it for at least 3 years longer than I’ve known that Jan Heine exists.

Ride whatever you want bros. I’m just asking for a switch :frowning:

Actually a switch is one more thing that can break!

But then, so can the day/night sensor.

There’s always the IQ Cyo / etc if this thing pisses you off so much (just teasing!). Those can be turned off. But honestly I can’t really tell the difference that the light is on unless I’m riding quite fast - and even then it’s just a mild buzzing. And at those speeds I especially like having the light on. But, I’m kind of a big wimp… I’d rather pay whatever vague drag penalty for the peace of mind that comes from knowing I’m a bit more visible. Cars are way more taxing on my mental faculties, all things considered.

EDIT: I see you’re got the IQ Fly with Alfine now. Maybe the bigger upgrade would be the Schmidt hub? They seem to last forever, probably pays for itself eventually.

^^your signal to noise ratio is heavily weighted towards the noise side. i’m a little hesitant to respond to your posts cause now i’m contributing to the noise and just stating the obvious.

the usb port will charge a variety of devices that someone may feel like taking on a long ride, and rides can go on for a lot more than three days.
that light was made in response to a need, and is highly desired.

i don’t know why anyone would worry about drag on a bike that has an internally geared rear hub. and like most bikes equipped with a dynamo the drag is a non issue with all of the other shit hanging on the bike, you just ride the thing. or maybe you should invest in a non-jankyass dynamo hub.

Mig, if you already have a hub/light, consider the PedalPower super-i-cable. 2200mAh cache battery, lots of different power output types, mini/micro usb, iPhone, Nokia…