Dynamo help

why no 28h CL?

WTF Dynamo by Andrew Squirrel, on Flickr

Apparently the axle slipped in the dropout (JRA not getting rad, bike in panniered touring mode) and bent up the spade terminals on my Schmidt SON28. It also mangled my connector/cable assembly. I was able to bend it all back with my leatherman pliers once I arrived at festival.

I usually keep my cable really short at the dropout but wondering if keeping a safety loop of wire would prevent this from happening again? However, I could see the axle rotating 180 degrees and having the same thing happen again with the safety loop. I could also see how having an exposed loop of wire could catch on branches and overgrown shrubs when riding singletrack.

hmmm…

safety loop cru checking in
i generally hide about 1-2" of cable in the fork (internal wiring) and that does ok however I have accidentally left the spades disconnected, spun the wheel, and torn the connectors off in the spokes (then paid an exorbitant amount to get 2 from my least favorite bike shop in town…see WTB thread 2-3 weeks ago). so, no matter what you do, you could be screwed.

Neither of my dynamobieks has internal wiring, so I wrap the cable around the fork loosely enough that there is a slight loop at the bottom. Neither of these bikes are for getting rad, might change my tune when NFE w/ internal wiring gets here.

simpler than carbon brushes in the headtube[/quote]

Feels so good

Lookit mr fancy pants over here

aw yeah

Son connectors are so fuckin JA. Give me SP or shimano any day.

Seriously. The plastic connectors are so easy to use and have given me 7000 miles of trouble free riding.

Seriously. [/quote]

Agreed, I’m considering writing an email to Schmidt and sharing this sentiment. It has come time for you to embrace the superior standard.

Seems like an axle slip on an SP or Shimano could go one of three ways:

• Wires pull out of connector, connector stays intact connected to hub (NBD, just restrip wires with teeth, appropriately reinsert into connector box)
  • Connector pops off hub, stays intact (NBD)
  • Connector pops off hub, two pieces separate and fly off never to be seen of again. (Probably bad for your trip but not a long term issue. Easily solvable by giving user 5x 10cent plastic connectors with their purchase.)

ill write to them also, though i doubt they’ll do anything.

Would probably just pop off the hub. I never unplug it before removing wheel and it doesn’t look the least bit stressful to the connector.

I’m about to build up supgrrrl a proper dyno wheel for her Jack Taylor, remind where least spensive place to source SP PD8 in silver?

Directly from Taiwan through intelligent design cycles, but I don’t know about shipping cost to euroland.

shopbros get merry sales

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]

• Wires pull out of connector, connector stays intact connected to hub (NBD, just restrip wires with teeth, appropriately reinsert into connector box)[/quote]

I stupidly ripped a wheel out without thinking once. The wires pulled out of the connector and the connector stayed on the hub. No restrip required, just open it up and reinsert.

unlike a special plastic bit you can get replacements from any autoparts store

but I’ve broken a whole bunch of spade connectors, and never lost or broken a plastic doohickey!

someone did make an adapter but in the wrong direction: http://www.pedalpower.com.au/page22.html

it’s for the only cool use case of the spades, piggyback connectors that let you connect devices independently to the same hub

I get that, but the shit still sucks. And it the plastic bits ever break when you’re in the middle of nowhere it is so easy to kludge a fix that who cares.

Is there a place to buy SP/shimano style connectors? I’d love to have a few spares to toss in my bag.