Fender chat chat

Good news! Ben’s got back to me to say they’re adding the 26 sizes to their stock and should have them in the next week/will add to their site. Gonna take advantage of that sweet sweet free shipping.

Probably going to install some Berthouds this weekend on my orange Sam. Other than stainless, seems like they’ll install like VO fenders with some different hardware. Other than doing heads in at the stay/fender interface, anything else I should know?

I can’t find my Planet Bike ALX fenders. I took them off in the spring and promptly misplaced them. I lose a lot of things, but this is a stretch even for me.

So if I can’t find them, who else makes a black aluminum fender which fits over 650x47mm tires?

Edit - I see Velo Orange makes the Wavy fenders in a 58mm sizeway!

I have those on my Vaya, and I really like them (running 47mm tires).

On the cheap the SKS Bluemels for 26" fit pretty well too

mounting up VO fenders.
i’ve got about .75" from where i want it to sit and the fender mount bridge (what do we actually call this piece?)
traditionally i’d use a piece of cork to fill the difference but i’m wondering about a big spring, or something with some give and return that would allow some give when cramming a wheel in.

VO even sell that. You could diy it too. Dunno if it rattles while riding.

that must be where i got the idea. i can’t deal with rattles so its off. new issue with the rear!

i bought these at bike swap, take off from a bike and didnt think to measure the stays aaaand we’re too short on the rear

Can you swap with the front?

u smart
will try tomorrow

If that doesn’t work: https://velo-orange.com/collections/fender-parts/products/vo-5mm-fender-stays-pair

I need some fenders for my 650x47 street hybrid, given the choice would you:

A) reradius 700c VO fenders

B) reradius 26” VO fenders

C) spend more on the PDW fenders

?

Planet Bike ALX 650b × 60 ?

1 Like

Option D! I haven’t been all that impressed with the ALX fenders, but I suppose better hardware might be some kind of upgrade.

If I’m not using them as placeholders, I replace the stays with either VO or handmade ones (the PB ones see a short new life as parts of temporary brazing jigs :-)

What fenders fit 26 x 2.1?
All of the common 26", 60mm fenders say 1.9 max.
Can I kludge it or am I missing something?

I have these 27.5/650b aluminum fenders on my rear 26"x60mm tire but there is enough clearance between the bridges and tire to make it work. The ALX fenders have a pretty shallow/flat profile so they can fit when the tire width matches the fender width.

Also Wald Fenders would work but the stays might need to be upgraded:

Cool. Thanks. I saw the Wald ones after I posted and hoped I wouldn’t have to go there because I don’t want this bike to be crazy heavy.

VO’s 60mm fenders fit over a Powerblock, snuggly.

What are my options for full coverage black fenders for 700x35 ish tires? I’d like to get something a little nicer than the plastic sks/pb fenders I’ve had on every single other bike for ever. I’m completely new to nice fenders, help me, I know nothing.