fenders and road bikes thrad

planning to build up a cross bike some time next year (72/72 parallel, 45mm offset fork)

gonna try Mini-Vs on that and be able to switch to CR710s if I hate em

Someday I’d like to get a bike built for 32-35s and post mount Paul Racers.

The Shimanos you’re referring to are the R650s? I want to try those out.

Yep

But the VO-branded ones are better at around the same price (both are around $150 IIRC)

Whoa whoa whoa you’re telling me that a VO product is in some way superior. I DONT BELIEVE YOU.

It’s not like they had any involvement in its design or development whatsoever

besides having exclusive american distribution and some tacky laser etching

Worst goddamned part. I hate laser etching so much.

The Shimano R541 also seems nice. I have a set I use here as a go/ no go when building forks for folks. No riding time, but they visually seem to have most of the physical attributes I like in the R650.

i could be wrong but i think the R451 and R651 (models ending in 1) are meant for the “new” cable pull ratio for shimano levers.

i have the R450 and R650 on two bikes. performance is the same, the R450 is painted and has more plastic parts.

[quote=Dirty Sanchez]Good 57mm reach dual pivots are really good. None of the Tektro models are quite right, the Shimano ones are really good, and the VO Grand Cru branded ones are surprisingly terrific.

The protruding dual-pivot arches do take up some space that you could be filling with something else, 33mm tires + fenders are hard with DPs but no trouble with a centerpull mounted on the same brake bridge.[/quote]

I have the polished BR-R600 ultegra level 57mm DPs on my SS comotion and can run 28mm tyres & P35 chromoplastics with no dramas at all and the braking is excellent (paired with BL-R400 levers and salmon inserts). There’s still brake pad slot below the pad, so if the axle-crown was longer you could go 30mm+ easy. Have heard good reports on the GC, haven’t tried personally. Have tried 57mm tektros, wouldn’t bother with them. The cheap matt finish BR-R450 are probably nearly as good as my R600 and ~1/4 the price.

I’m about to remove shorty ultimates from the coupled CX bike and replace with ultra cheap tektro 80mm arm mini Vs (old 10sp shakes, maximising rim clearance) so packing / unpacking will be much faster and require less tools. Should clear 32mm tyres ok based on a mockup… we’ll see how it goes, my backup is CR710 also.

I have R600, which is more polished and more 9sp era looking, but essentially the same. Great brakes, you won’t regret the cost.

Friend just built another friend a bike with post mount pauls. Pretty great brakes, but you are locked into them forever as their boss is different to MAFAC/DC.

Ahh, good to know:

And to finish, the Winter is looking hotter than ever Eric.

Cool bike.

I’m aware, and don’t care. Paul stands behind their wares.

[quote=Rusty Piton]

[/quote]

holy shit

[quote=Blakey]
Friend just built another friend a bike with post mount pauls. Pretty great brakes, but you are locked into them forever as their boss is different to MAFAC/DC.[/quote]
Are Mafac/DC mounts in the same place for all models/years?

[quote=kevinwulf][quote=Blakey]
Friend just built another friend a bike with post mount pauls. Pretty great brakes, but you are locked into them forever as their boss is different to MAFAC/DC.[/quote]
Are Mafac/DC mounts in the same place for all models/years?[/quote]

Touche. They are not.

http://ruedatropical.com/2009/01/mafac-brake-bosses-v-canti-bosses/

Thanks guys- glad you are digging it.

[quote=Blakey][quote=kevinwulf][quote=Blakey]
Are Mafac/DC mounts in the same place for all models/years?[/quote]

Touche. They are not.

http://ruedatropical.com/2009/01/mafac-brake-bosses-v-canti-bosses/
[/quote]

Thanks! This one includes the DC 750
http://ruedatropical.com/2009/01/mafac-dia-compe-paul-centerpull-brake-specs/
Would be interested to see measurements for a few more Dia Compe models, esp the NGC450.

Also, backing the Winter love. Sweet bike!!

Sweet center pull stoppers, easy-peasy universal/ non-proprietary recessed nut mounting. Locked up wheel and rad modulation are locked up and rad.

Really you guys there’s no such thing as “locked in forever”

It’s really not that hard to cut+grind the old ones off and braze new ones on if you’re still riding the bike way down the line and you somehow can’t find anything on ebay

That black bike on the last page is bad ass.

It’s had a few mods since then, getting better each time I see it.

(By saying you’re locked in I wasn’t implying that you’ll hate post mount Pauls, just that it reduces options. And if that’s the worst thing about them, then that’s a good problem to have. Dog knows I have enough bikes with worse issues.)