Fenders

oh yeah, I stumbled upon those fenders last month while looking at mudflaps. Forgot to share it here

So did they buy a container of fenders from India and are now getting very friendly with their local powdercoater?

per their facebook they really havent been active since last yearish

Wow I really want a pink pair for the campeur.

This pair of Kelpies is 77mm wide, I rolled the edge over extra to clear the chain and fit between the chainstays:

We also put an 80mm+ set on Ben Rainbow’s production NFE which required denting to fit in the old fork crown but clears Thunder Burts stretched on Blunt 35s, and fits in the stock NFE rear end. There’s another 65/73 mixed pair installed on a friend’s Ira Ryan with SBHs, and a 68/73mm pair still up for grabs that might go to Tamaso.

The aluminum is extremely soft as he fully annealed the sheet before manipulating it, but the rolling probably needs to be done in a lot more passes if that work-hardening is going to bring them back up to temper (Honjo’s secret sauce is in that process)

What is the weight?

Do you heat ALU to harden?

you heat it to anneal it to baby soft aluminum

you cool it in specific arcane cycles to artificially age it into hardman aluminum

ooh thanks for the reminder I’ll measure the fourth set

you heat it to anneal it to baby soft aluminum. you cool it in specific arcane cycles to artificially age it into hardman aluminum[/quote]
Could one feasibly do this with a DIY heating element/etc?
Asking because I’m guessing your fenderbuddy prob isn’t a major Corp with some pro bankroll

I talked with Colin about trying to rig up something with a used pizza oven. He also might be able to anneal them less as he gains more experience with the rolling process.

It’s not that arcane. solution heat treat then artificial (or room temp if the alloy plays nice) age to precipitation harden. Anneal then cold work to harden if it’s not a precipitation hardening alloy. Definitely doable with access to some heat and a barrel of water to drop it into.

What are my QBP options for 700c fenders that fit 48+mm wide tires, but which are NOT the huge 29er type? I can’t seem to find anything.

Big as they get from Q:

SKS P50 Chromoplastic Longboard Fender Set: (700c 38-45) 29er

SKS B53 Commuter II Fender Set: 700 x 38-47

Velo Orange 700c Zeppelin Fender Set: Polished Silver - 52mm

Yeah, I just landed on the SKS P50. I’ll probably end up with that. Thanks.

Per another conversation, PDW is introducing 650b fenders, the “650 Beast” (uggg). Specs are up on Clever Cycles’ website.

Dumb name and seems expensive considering those Cascadia ones are half the price.

yo. I need to mount fenders to my H/G and need a spacer to go up to the bridge. Is there anyone that sells them? Is there a hardware store option?

Price is the same as all the PDW metal fenders, which means very high. I’ll probaby pro deal a set for my NFE and I can write a full report.

bummer, I was hoping the PDW were going to be 60mm width