Fenders

Thanks. I was specifically referring to stay length. Namely, are they long enough to accommodate a spacer (to clear the caliper).[/quote]

im confused - yes the stays are long enough if you can - outset - from the fender boss at the dropout.

PDWs clear disc calipers for me, but I don’t recall if they provided the standoff spacer or if I used one from the parts bin.

[quote=Rentable Faxmachine]Curious if anyone has seen these in the flesh:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/str-mg.php[/quote]

a dead ringer for http://www.curana.com/index.php/products/mudguards_clite/mudguard_2/ which I have a few sets of

they’re a really interesting inside-out composite, plastic center with an superthin aluminum skin on both sides, and incredibly light

but the blades are really short in coverage, flat profile with no edge/gutter, and the hardware is heavy steel

DQ Is this the kind of place where I should use a leather washer?

Yes, pretty much the only location for a leather washer. I used rubber washer last time (because black) and it worked fine. I think leather washers do conform slightly better.

Thanks

I think I’m gonna go full grant and replace with wine corks on mine.

I’m a fan of the nylon spacers like the ones you find at Lowes/Home Depot.

I did wine corks for the under crown spacer before. Kinda nice how easy it is to carve it into shape but it ended up being really squeaky from fork / fender flex.
I think I eventually put another layer of material in that killed the squeak.

I never think to save the corks and only remember when the bottle we opened is a screw top.

on instagram

Dang it Mig. I was going to get some silver Smooth 62s, but they’re sold out so I’m seeing what else is worth using in ~650bX60mmXsilverways

Planet Bike ALX protip:
If you are building up a weird bike with different wheel sizes (cargo, recumbent) or replacing a single broken fender you can order some of the fenders individually on the website. Unfortunately they don’t have all the wheel sizes available, i.e. 650b x 60mm is missing but I emailed them about purchasing a rear only 650b x 60mm and here is the reply:

[quote]Hey Andrew,
Thanks for your email. So we are willing to sell individual fenders on occasion if we have them available and already split up. The cost would be half the cost of the set ($32.50 plus $5 shipping).
What you can do is order the fender set on our website and then in the discount code box in your shopping cart write in “ONEFENDER”. This will take 50% off your order. [/quote]

A less secret, meh-tip:
Amazon sells “used” fenders, including the PB ALXs. I bought some for like $30, they appeared to be uninstalled, open-package returns.

Far less balleur but I ordered a set of the Bluemels 26" 65mm in silver for like 20EUR. Have not yet mounted but looks like the fender line will be OK.

Honjo H95?

I was skeptical the first time I heard about these but upon seeing them I really like the way they came out.

Side(fork) note: this is begging for front pannier bag mounts.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/07/06/wild-ceepo-shadow-r-sidefork-turns-conventional-fork-design-on-its-head/