Framebuildin' part 3

don’t be joking with me, because i will hold off on buying a road bike

[quote=white folks]hay turp, what order you do the main triangle in?

i’m thinking st/dt to bb

then ht to tt

then tt to st

did it a lil different last time[/quote]
for my bike i did head tube brazes then seat tube then bb I figured I could keep everything aligned best this way. I will probably do it the opposite way you are saying just because I think it is easier to keep it in line without dealing with the bb.

However it’s turning out, I think it’s cool that y’all are building your own bieks. There isn’t anything more satisfying than to create something using your own two hands!!

new level of zen of making your own bike then riding it, amirite? :smiley:

makes all other zen child’s play
and I will probably start making frames this summer so long as you promise never to ride it. Min insurance premium is 1750 or something. I can’t afford that, but I am applying to a couple artist in residence jobs so I will have studio space and nothing to do all summer

wait so i can’t ride the bike?

really? I think aligning the ST to the HT with a bullet level , then the bottom of the BB to the HT with 180* carpenters level makes for a pretty straight frame. all i do then is check from the front of the BB to the centerline on the backside of the headtube and if my logic is correct the bike is within a mm of straight. If it’s off a bit i can final tweak before doing the TT miters and lug brazing

makes all other zen child’s play
and I will probably start making frames this summer so long as you promise never to ride it. Min insurance premium is 1750 or something. I can’t afford that, but I am applying to a couple artist in residence jobs so I will have studio space and nothing to do all summer[/quote]

Pretty sure I’d still ride it, and if it broke, I’d want to punch you in the dick, but I’m a reasonable man and would never sue you.

So build me a bike.

i asked opinions on FF a year or two ago. the consensus was ok to build at cost for friends and stuff. but once you start making a profit on your labor, your labor can be accountable for accidents.

weird to think someones face is in my hands when i’m brazing a joint but it’s true.

shit i used to make helicopter transmissions back when i was less-than-sober, so i dunno why i’m trippin.

just throw on a second top tube like the kilo OS

just as good as insurance

you probably just have to promise you won’t, but then of course ride the shit out of it.

[quote=toast]just throw on a second top tube like the kilo OS

just as good as insurance[/quote]

Nah, better.

[quote=Pharaoh][quote=toast]just throw on a second top tube like the kilo OS

just as good as insurance[/quote]

Nah, better.[/quote]

3 would be best

you probably just have to promise you won’t, but then of course ride the shit out of it.[/quote]
oh, sounds like a deal :slight_smile:

face palm.

This site has some cool stuff, I’m thinking of trying to build some racks. Anyone here have experience?

Alex Wetmore’s Rack Building Basics

That sounds awesome Lindsey!

I would totally want to buy one from you when you get started

[quote=Top Tube]This site has some cool stuff, I’m thinking of trying to build some racks. Anyone here have experience?

Alex Wetmore’s Rack Building Basics[/quote]

no experience, but i intend to try and build a rack later this month… or at least make some drawings and buy the materials and let them sit and rot in my garage.

we should trade notes as they (slowly) get built
what style of rack are you thinking of?