Framebuildin' part 3

i want to make a rear rack that mounts on the rear axle with a single strut going up to the seat stay yoke. as much as i would like to braze it, i don’t have the equipment to do such a thing. i do have a mig welder and i was planning on using some slightly thicker walled tubing than what was used in the link you posted so i can weld it up without any risk of burning through.

basically, a heavy and probably ugly copy of the axiom streamliner road that will fit my 29er and clear disc brakes. just something to throw panniers on for going to school and running errands around town. once i have some free time and it stops raining, i’ll buy some steel and start fucking shit up.

my friend sean is building custom racks. in fact he’s building one for the frame i’m working on now. I’ll try and get some pics of his set up. basically a tubing bender and a brazing fixture made from 80/20

Frame builders, would it be possible to change the trail of a fork without any adverse affects? Josh Muir has this contraption down the street from me. Could it be used?

tire clearance is the issue

you probably just have to promise you won’t, but then of course ride the shit out of it.[/quote]

if it broke i’d fix it. it shouldn’t though.

That makes sense

[quote=turpentine]tire clearance is the issue

you probably just have to promise you won’t, but then of course ride the shit out of it.[/quote]

if it broke i’d fix it. it shouldn’t though.[/quote]

the problem would be what happens to your body rather than the frame. that’s what the insurance would be for.

well if it failed it would be a joint cracking or something. you would just see it coming if you are at all attentive. I am honestly not worried about frame failure. I can get sued if you are riding my bike and you get hit and injured. Or if you fall off a cliff or something. You might not win the case but the insurance would be there for me so I no worry.

that seems silly. if i get in an accident on my own fault/drive off a cliff of my own accord - can i sue the maker of my car? doubt it.

that seems silly. if i get in an accident on my own fault/drive off a cliff of my own accord - can i sue the maker of my car? doubt it.[/quote]
uhhhhhhh

You can sue anybody you please for any reason and in this country, there is little to discourage folks from doing so. Unfortunately, this has turned civil courts into a lottery of sorts.

heath is right again.
the logic for suing me would go
you sold me a bike
which encouraged me to be on the street without a ton of steel protecting me
I got hit by a motorist and injured
you sold me a vehicle that did not adequately protect me and are therefore at fault.

or I didn’t make sure you knew how to ride the bike before I sold it to you.
or the bike caught on fire in some way or something
the possibilities are there.

What assets do you have to protect? If none, then you don’t really need insurance.

could i make a corp or whatever then be protected coz of that?

LLC, sure, but there’s costs associated with that. Do you really have assets you need to protect? Trust fund? Inheritance?

I do. My reputation.

No amount of insurance is going to protect that.

my college fund is pretty important. an llc is only a few hundos wheras insurance is 1750 min

I seriously doubt there’s a way that you could manufacture and sell bicycle frames and also protect your college fund, without having liability insurance.

No amount of insurance is going to protect that.[/quote]

word. my though is that insurance coupled with straight up ethics goes a long way to help maintain a rep.

dude from nova schooled me up.

takes years to build a good rep

and one fuck up to tear it down

in other news:

my shop will continue to have a home. possibly one block from Ira Ryan’s shop.

got some nicer files.

cross bike is pinned and ready for main triangle braze this weekend

headbadges are at the job shop getting cnc routered and edm’d

basickly its on like donkey kong