Framebuildin' part 3

man :frowning: I super can’t be buying a new frame jig coz future babies, home purchasing, etc.

That’s fair, I don’t think I can swing it though.

SQ: How should I go about with crimping chainstays. Thinking a c clamp, but also willing to use a wrench. Yolo in dolo

Clamp is a popular way for sure, like this:

Or Vise-grip:

I use the c clamp method. Make sure to line it up a thousand time though. It will want to slip always

Finished up the #9 rebuild, so this one now lives as #13.

how long is that top tube?

460 reach, 650 stack. Both tubes were mitered without having to trim them first.

I like your decision making process

I have two framebuilding plans for 2017 right now.

One is an yolo road disc bike, designed to fit 650x42 or 700x30. Fillet brazed and 44mm headtube, fat main tubes, bendy stays. Plan to source a take-off hydro disc group from work.

The other is an excercise in ridiculoussness that I can’t get out of my head. Lugged and traditional dimensions but the lightest tubing I can possibly source, built up with a mix of the lightest componentry available from the lugged steel-era and parts I make myself.

Relevant to my interests.

I sold my super record equipped De Rosa so I think that’s why I want to build that bike so bad. I have a few parts on hand already: 28h record hubs and nisi rims, cyclone mkii dangler, Cinelli bar/stem, campy spec ti square taper bb. Plan to make some superlight pedals using existing ti spindles as well as a singer inspired rod operated fd.

Got this one built up. Going to have to do something about the drivetrain, something weird is going on with the rear derailleur. Shifts the first 7 cogs perfectly, then skips the 8th cog and goes to the 9th. It’s done this for years, with two totally different shifters.

Haunted dangler

Double check the dropout and hanger alignments.

Making stuffs:

[quote=Eric Estlund]Double check the dropout and hanger alignments.
[/quote]

It looked ok so I doubled checked the parts and noticed the shifter said m739. D’oh, 8 speed, no wonder.

Sounds like it was insisting on it, too.

[quote=rauce]I have two framebuilding plans for 2017 right now.

One is an yolo road disc bike, designed to fit 650x42 or 700x30. Fillet brazed and 44mm headtube, fat main tubes, bendy stays. Plan to source a take-off hydro disc group from work.

The other is an excercise in ridiculoussness that I can’t get out of my head. Lugged and traditional dimensions but the lightest tubing I can possibly source, built up with a mix of the lightest componentry available from the lugged steel-era and parts I make myself.[/quote]
my current bike is that first bike and I also have interest in an ultra light lugged bike. But to use as a townie commuter or something…

[quote=drwelby]

Got this one built up. Going to have to do something about the drivetrain, something weird is going on with the rear derailleur. Shifts the first 7 cogs perfectly, then skips the 8th cog and goes to the 9th. It’s done this for years, with two totally different shifters.[/quote]
dr welby, that’s awesome!

The treatment