Gear Recommendations (old)

I have the 137. You might find the right size basket in a shop like MUJI.
A good visual of the 137 v 139: https://troutmoose.com/2017/12/full-comparison-wald-139-vs-wald-137-baskets/

[quote=jdsmooth]
A good visual of the 137 v 139: https://troutmoose.com/2017/12/full-comparison-wald-139-vs-wald-137-baskets/[/quote]

This is wonderful, thanks for sharing. Bookmarking for my MimeBike build

Wald needs to make a 138 version that is sized in between the two.

I’m running a 137 on my H/G and a 139 on my commuter (w/ a flat bar.) The key to making the most of the 137 is a good bungee net so that you can stack up rather than outwards like with the 139.

That’s a great comparison.

This is totally the way to do it. A 137 on a drop bar dirt bike and a 139 on a flat bar commuter. I kept meaning to put a 137 on my wolverine but just never got around to ordering one. I might grab one from the shop this weekend.

I’m glad I stumbled I to this discussion. I want to put a basket on my flat bar bike and have been bouncing between these too. Has anyone ever used the Wald bag that fits these baskets? The combo for $50 looks like a solid deal for occasional grocery runs.

For the 139 (or just straight up on a porteur/milkcrate/HC rack) another good option are those milsurplus camo bags.
can be found cheaper sometimes just search those words
Fit perfectly in a md wald, can be made to work in a small but kind of wasting the capacity. I used a cardboard 3 walled stiffener in mine for a while, still could fold it down to just smash the whole bag and put something large on top. The straps are also long as fuck to cinch around large/awkward loads. Light, waterproof, cheap.

Only downside is camo, if camo is a downside.

I have one of the integrated baskets, and it was cheap crap that fell apart almost immediately. I don’t know if they’re the same now as they were then, but in any event, I definitely prefer my Amazon “tactical molle bag” or whatever the hell it’s called. Super durable, waterproof, etc. I can’t find a like but someone else probably will.

Super light ls button down shirt that is quick drying and doesn’t look like “gear”
This

This is probably it, but is a little insufferably affected

Why do companies make a good looking shirt and then screw it up by putting a zipper on it?

I thought your plan was to snag a sweet paisley 70’s polyester shirt from the thrift store? Or is this for another purpose?

Mix purpose I guess.

[quote=TimArchyLime]Why do companies make a good looking shirt and then screw it up by putting a zipper on it?

I thought your plan was to snag a sweet paisley 70’s polyester shirt from the thrift store? Or is this for another purpose?[/quote]
When I worked at an adventure summer camp I learned from the aussies that the best outdoor shirts are shitty 70’s polyester button ups. And god damn, they were right. You can spend $70 on some tech shirt that is mostly made for an asshole office dweller that wants to feel like they go outside. Or you can spend $2.49 on a shirt meant for an office dweller 40 years ago and it’s wayyyyyyyy fucking better.

[quote=TimArchyLime]Why do companies make a good looking shirt and then screw it up by putting a zipper on it?

I thought your plan was to snag a sweet paisley 70’s polyester shirt from the thrift store? Or is this for another purpose?[/quote]

Zippers are better at blocking wind, but on a summer shirt?

[quote=Shortpants][quote=TimArchyLime]Why do companies make a good looking shirt and then screw it up by putting a zipper on it?

When I worked at an adventure summer camp I learned from the aussies that the best outdoor shirts are shitty 70’s polyester button ups. And god damn, they were right. You can spend $70 on some tech shirt that is mostly made for an asshole office dweller that wants to feel like they go outside. Or you can spend $2.49 on a shirt meant for an office dweller 40 years ago and it’s wayyyyyyyy fucking better.[/quote]

This is what my theory was, but then was doubting it…
Kyle, we need to go on a sunny afternoon beer/vintage/thrift store ramble… whats the best neighborhood you think?

Who else makes butt bags with a strap on the back to be able to strap wide things onto the top of the roll-top like Oveja Negra and Outer Shell?

Kinda wish I could get the Revelate version but I don’t think those bags have this capability. I really dig it.

revelate has little plastic tabs that I threaded elastic cord through. I strap shit to the top of mine.

What was the good rain jacket again?

Those tabs (the 4 on top?) aren’t gonna work for me. The strap on these bags makes it so you can put stuff kind of behind the bag rather than on top of it Really burly. I put my tent there.

Actually got another Q (today is “sit on the couch” day):

Where 2 buy this? Anyone know?