Gear Recommendations (old)

I do not understand feedbags.

I got a Revelate one because it seemed handy, but whenever I stand up I hit my knee on it every pedal stroke, which I found extremely annoying.

Are other people not hitting their knees? Or are they just ignoring it?

I’m a 6’ dude who rides 56ish top tube bikes with 110mmish stems, so it’s not like I have some super t-rexy cockpit situation.

[quote=ICU81MI]I do not understand feedbags.

I got a Revelate one because it seemed handy, but whenever I stand up I hit my knee on it every pedal stroke, which I found extremely annoying.

I’m a 6’ dude who rides 56ish top tube bikes with 110mmish stems, so it’s not like I have some super t-rexy cockpit situation.[/quote]

I’m just shy of 6’ and I hit my knees on those “gas tank” kind of bags that mount on the top tube/stem. I don’t stand much when riding, but it is irritating enough that I hate the thing. It seems like a feed bag will be far enough forward for me to not be a problem. I’m also putting it on a bike with a 58.5cm top tube, which ought to help.

I’m a 6’ dude who rides 56ish top tube bikes with 110mmish stems, so it’s not like I have some super t-rexy cockpit situation.[/quote]

6’6", 62cm tt, 120(?)mm stem*. Double feedbags, no major bumping, a little brushing of the patella when the bags are full.

The trick with Revelate’s feedbags is that you have to wrap the thick velcro around the handlebar, and use the thin velcro around the stem. It pulls the bag flatter against the back of the handlebar than the other way around. Apparently this is a common enough problem that the company made a little video about it.
Also, if you are double feedbagging it, you can just buckle the fork crown straps to each other and cinch them down, it works just fine, and does away with clearance issues on a road fork.

*rs685 levers are stupendously long, so I went a cm shorter than usual to compensate.

I’m 6’2 on a 60 square with a 120 stem. You should be on a 58 dawg. I do not hit my knees on it.

wat

?

That seems super normal

Is it really? I feel like that’s an abnormally small bike for 6"

That’s race fit. I’m 5’10" on a tall day and I ride a 56. Had a 53 road bike though and that thing was like a go kart.

Idk. From looking at a few manufacturer sizing guides (not that this is the most scientific method for sizing a bicycle), most seem to have the cutoff between 56 and 58 right at 6’, so it doesn’t seem too crazy to be on a 56. If I’m being precise, I’m probably a few mm south of 6’.

I at one point I owned a 58stx57tt bike with a straight top tube. I found the fit to be uncomfortably French (I’m more torso than legs) and the bars felt too high.

My bikes generally feel great to me. Just as long as I don’t put a feed bag on. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

6’1" 56-57tt crew checking in.
If I go any longer I have to use like a <100mm stem on the road.

It isn’t crazy but I’m not surprised a feed bag wouldn’t work for a 6’ person on a 56. My race bike was a 58 with a slammed stem on a 160 IS head tube at 6’2" and I’d never make that my fit for anything other than going fast with my head down.

5’10" 54ish rider checking in who also hits a knee on feedbags. Starting to like my half frame bag a lot more than the feedbag

I need some help finding a set of three matching aluminum bottle cages in red, green, yellow, and black.

I’d prefer to get them from the LBSbro but I’d like to come to him with part numbers to order. If not, an online resource?

their buckle that goes down to the fork crown is pretty awesome, and they’ve really nailed the inner foam layer that keeps it structured

ferg you should absolutely buy a few of these no matter what: Mountain Feedbag - Cockpit | Revelate Designs LLC

pretty much the highest value bike accessory of the decade[/quote]

Backing all of this 100%. The Feedbag is adjacent my dynamo for “small thing that dramatically improved my riding experience.”

Knees hitting feedbag cru here. 5’10" riding 57 square bike and still hit the bag when I’m out of the saddle. Love the idea, but they generally pair best with flat bars and long stems or top tubes. I’ve had hangy-mi-doodle front bags on my mind recently. Seem like a good alternative.

their buckle that goes down to the fork crown is pretty awesome, and they’ve really nailed the inner foam layer that keeps it structured

ferg you should absolutely buy a few of these no matter what: Mountain Feedbag - Cockpit | Revelate Designs LLC

pretty much the highest value bike accessory of the decade[/quote]

Backing all of this 100%. The Feedbag is adjacent my dynamo for “small thing that dramatically improved my riding experience.”[/quote]

I need a feed bag that can hold a 24oz beer. My wife won’t let me put a cup holder on the jogger but I’m pretty sure I could get away with a feed bag style holder. I’ve been running with the jogger then stopping for a chelada/ beer after the run and have the beer while I cool down/walk home. Would like to be able to not hold it the whole time.

Put a fucking cup holder on the jogger ffs

Yeah I don’t get the cup holder objection.

It’s not like not having a cup holder makes you look any less like a dork pushing that thing around

Nah put a revelate on the jogger. Sounds hilarious.

a Revelate holds 24/25oz cans perfectly and discretely