Generous Wind Fall To Spend

Mercian would build you a damn nice sport tourer type bike for 1800 stones.

Ok, so I think I’m going to go with an off the peg Bob Jackson World Tour. This will enable me to get the type of frame I want and still have money to outfit it with nice gear. I’ve looked at it’s vital statistics and it should fit me pretty damn well. I have most of an 8spd Dura Ace group in the parts bin, I would just add some barçons. Noodles would finally have a bike to go on as well. Then some nice racks, fenders and luggage to match. So that’s the plan as of today anyways.

ah mann I was just looking at those yesterday. I don’t know much about the frames but I totally approve this choice. Let us know how it builds up/rides.

and remember. Purple.

Bob Jackson? Hunter Green, Silver/Grey, Eggshell white, there’s any number of colors other than purple.

Eggnog…?

can we turn this back into the ‘bike that will do everything’ thread? i need one.

it’s snowing and sticking here now so my trackbike is useless. i’ll probably be PTing it this winter, but what about next. is a cross bike the answer? 23s for the summer, studded for dark winter?

would 650b’s with a drum front and internal geared rear and studs work on my track bike or am i crazy?

Yes.

both?

Bob Jacksons are ugly, you shouldn’t get one.

[quote=aek]can we turn this back into the ‘bike that will do everything’ thread? i need one.

it’s snowing and sticking here now so my trackbike is useless. i’ll probably be PTing it this winter, but what about next. is a cross bike the answer? 23s for the summer, studded for dark winter?

would 650b’s with a drum front and internal geared rear and studs work on my track bike or am i crazy?[/quote]

Cross bikes are do-able, but not totally ideal for snow. As a do-everything bike they’re probably your best bet though.

Really though, road bike for the summer and 29er or regular MTB for the winter if you live in an area that regularly gets a lot of snow every year would be the best way to go, but $$$.

Go for it. The general consensus is that Mercians are very nice but Bob Jacksons are still nice and a good deal. Only thing I can complain about is the somewhat sloppy lug lining. You could tell them that you want to do the lining.

:colbert:

question: if I want to powdercoat a frame then do lug lining should I just pick up some touch-up paint in the color I desire and go at it over the powdercoat, then spay a little clearcoat over the painted spots? Or is there a more elegant way to pull this off?

get the bj if you can afford it

[quote=Der Blaue Reiter][quote=bexley]
Go for it. The general consensus is that Mercians are very nice but Bob Jacksons are still nice and a good deal. Only thing I can complain about is the somewhat sloppy lug lining. You could tell them that you want to do the lining.
[/quote]

question: if I want to powdercoat a frame then do lug lining should I just pick up some touch-up paint in the color I desire and go at it over the powdercoat, then spay a little clearcoat over the painted spots? Or is there a more elegant way to pull this off?[/quote]

That’ll work, but there’s no need for the clearcoat.

Heh. Memory lane.

cool, thanks. So stoked.

lol… which thread was that from???

[quote=dooktruck]i want a mountain/touring/cross/track/TT bike but can it have a sloping top tube and a bottle opener
coz i only have room for one bike in my life coz u know like ive been reading about environmental impact and stuff
and i need to like allocate resources in a conscious way…go go gadget bike[/quote]
Ha!

[quote=aek]can we turn this back into the ‘bike that will do everything’ thread? i need one.

would 650b’s with a drum front and internal geared rear and studs work on my track bike or am i crazy?[/quote]
Used, steel, rigid mtb of an 80’s or early 90’s vintage has got to be the most cost-effective answer, and you’ll probably completely fall in love with riding yours as long as you get a decent one, not the toys-r-us pacifics that most people ride before writing off old mountain bikes completely.

Decent ones can be had for under $300, and all you’ll usually have to do is get new tires, cables, housing and fenders.

I never thought an 80’s mountain bike would become my do-everything bike until I realized that mine did just about everything. There are only two things it isn’t good at:

1. Being light. That’s fine. Your practical bike can’t be light.
  2. Being a racing-type road bike. Again, fine. You can’t be looking for one bike that is a racing-type road bike and a practical bike.

Basically, pour all your money into a baller-ass road/cross/track/tarck/whatever bike designed to be light and go fast, because that’s good, clean fun and those bikes are a dream on the right day.

Get a beater mtb for under $300 including parts. Preferably for under $200. Under $100 can be done, but watch out for the usual cast of shitty product that has flooded the market since 1983 or so. Rigid forks are better because fenders. Also racks.

You’ll probably ride your beater two or three times as much.

[quote=deadforkinglast][quote=aek]can we turn this back into the ‘bike that will do everything’ thread? i need one.

Used, steel, rigid mtb of an 80’s or early 90’s vintage has got to be the most cost-effective answer, and you’ll probably completely fall in love with riding yours as long as you get a decent one, not the toys-r-us pacifics that most people ride before writing off old mountain bikes completely.

Decent ones can be had for under $300, and all you’ll usually have to do is get new tires, cables, housing and fenders.

I never thought an 80’s mountain bike would become my do-everything bike until I realized that mine did just about everything. There are only two things it isn’t good at:

1. Being light. That’s fine. Your practical bike can’t be light.
  2. Being a racing-type road bike. Again, fine. You can’t be looking for one bike that is a racing-type road bike and a practical bike.

Basically, pour all your money into a baller-ass road/cross/track/tarck/whatever bike designed to be light and go fast, because that’s good, clean fun and those bikes are a dream on the right day.

Get a beater mtb for under $300 including parts. Preferably for under $200. Under $100 can be done, but watch out for the usual cast of shitty product that has flooded the market since 1983 or so. Rigid forks are better because fenders. Also racks.

You’ll probably ride your beater two or three times as much.[/quote]

i’m barack obama and i support this message.

Can anyone make heads or tails of this? what is 1" “A” head?