Generous Wind Fall To Spend

I wish.

[quote=tarckeemoon][quote=zombie][quote=y]

edit: just noticed you were talking about touring.[/quote]

He said “hyphen touring”, something I’ve been hearing a lot about lately. “Carl, I want a snappy, track-geo 'cross bike with disc tabs and room for 2” tires hyphen loaded touring."[/quote]

lulz[/quote]

ehh at one extreme you have the LHT, at the other you have, uh, lets say a ridley xfire. i think in between there’s plenty of room for a bike that can handle recreational trail use and loaded touring (if not a self-supported 3000mi trip)

surly just came out with an xcheck fork with lowrider rack mounts, par example

Have you considered buying $1,800 worth of whatever and returning it? You might even be able to make some extra cash if you play it smart and buy flip-worthy stuff.

[quote=toast]

ehh at one extreme you have the LHT, at the other you have, uh, lets say a ridley xfire. i think in between there’s plenty of room for a bike that can handle recreational trail use and loaded touring (if not a self-supported 3000mi trip)

surly just came out with an xcheck fork with lowrider rack mounts, par example[/quote]

Sure, and I’ve ridden singletrack and on the velodrome with my old Steamroller, but it wasn’t so great.

yeah, true. would you say road/cx is a better overlap?

I’d have to imagine so. I see lots of guys destroying the road on CX bikes, not so much vice-versa, however.

I hit up some singletrack on my road bike occasionally. It’s not really the same as “destroying the road”, but I’m not afraid of a little dirt.

does it strike anyone else as weird that the boss has so many stipulations on how the bonus money is to be spent?

Yes.

I’d have to imagine so. I see lots of guys destroying the road on CX bikes, not so much vice-versa, however.[/quote]

CX bikes are becoming more and more like road bikes. Higher bb, shorter stays, shorter fc.

this is why my road bike has 28’s

That was why I asked the WTF q. To me it seems like this boss has some sort of idea that he can give this bloke the money and not pay for it in the long run. Either that or there’s some tax tomfoolery involved here.

Or perhaps its completely legit and falls under the times are tough but this dewd totally DESERVES a raise.

I’d have to imagine so. I see lots of guys destroying the road on CX bikes, not so much vice-versa, however.[/quote]

Fo sho. I did all my road racing/crits last year on a cross bike… works great on a budget when you can only have one geared bike to do it all. Probably wouldn’t be a bad tourer either with the long chainstays and tire clearance, but I’ve never done any real loaded touring so I don’t know.

I’d have to diagree with this, and say that the opposite has happened. Older CX bikes were often little more than crit bikes with cantilever brakes. In anything, the bottom bracket on most CX bikes has gotten lower over the past few years, and the wheelbase has expanded. Just compare something like the CAAD9 to the CAAD9 CX, they’re pretty dissimilar in some key ways.

Traditionally, CX bikes had a higher bottom bracket for more clearance. I’ve read that the clearance is for clips and straps and since nobody uses 'em any more, bottom brackets are getting lower, closer to road specs.

this is why my road bike has 28’s[/quote]

Likewise. I tend to get a lot of complaints when I lead casual group rides off road, though. I wish I had a little more clearance on my carbon fork or in general. I feel like 32s would be optimal for my weight.

Mostly it’s legit and as was mentioned because I have been a loyal employee through some hard times. Part of our funding comes from grants and we have to allocate funds to certain things when writing those grants, bicycle transportation and maintenance are legitimate expenses and as I use my bike for work and to and from work it’s pretty much all kosher. I am happy I get some ‘free money’ to spend on my biggest addiction. A real raise will be forthcoming at some point once business picks up again.

I also find it funny (although not entirely surprised) how this thread has turned into a discussion about how to get multi-use out of a bike and the various physical differences between bike styles.

I can’t remember what the question was, but I’m pretty sure the answer is “Cross-Check”? :bear:

Just kidding. Sorta.

[quote=darklordoflove]
I also find it funny (although not entirely surprised) how this thread has turned into a discussion about how to get multi-use out of a bike and the various physical differences between bike styles.[/quote]

That’s because a baller frame is the forgone conclusion to your question.
It’s nice to have a do-everything bike, That’s what the Cassaroll is to me but it’s got limitations. Get a touring bike that can have cantis or centerpulls that contrasts your straight-up road bike. So make the geo slack enough that it can handle a full load and track well and not have toe overlap. then paint it purple, and ride it in the winter too with fenders.

[quote=Der Blaue Reiter][quote=darklordoflove]
I also find it funny (although not entirely surprised) how this thread has turned into a discussion about how to get multi-use out of a bike and the various physical differences between bike styles.[/quote]

That’s because a baller frame is the forgone conclusion to your question.
It’s nice to have a do-everything bike, That’s what the Cassaroll is to me but it’s got limitations. Get a touring bike that can have cantis or centerpulls that contrasts your straight-up road bike. So make the geo slack enough that it can handle a full load and track well and not have toe overlap. then paint it purple, and ride it in the winter too with fenders.[/quote]
I like this plan.

Have you been fit before?

I ask because I fit pretty damned well on standard 54 square frames, and with 1800 I’d be looking long and hard at some Ti goodness.

I like this plan.[/quote]
Me, too. My purple kilo keeps taunting me to ride it, and i have to tell it, ‘no. it’s paper time.’