Get Fast Now (updated OP with seriousness)

1.) Don’t ride everyday
3.) Sleep 10 hours a night with a 1-2 hour nap in the middle of the day
4.) Don’t drink alcohol, coffee or consume other stimulants that drain energy
5.) Climb hills instead of riding flat
6.) Have relationship issues
7.) Choose to be a loner, because to be the best you have to be alone, so start getting used to it.
8.) Live with/be friends with other committed athletes.
9.) Eat Veggies and Burritos
10.) Respect your current ability and gently meet your limits one day a week.
11.) The bulk of your miles probably only need to be at 80% of your ability
I’m planning to actually contribute to this thread, but I’m too tired to write what I mean, and DO want to get the discussion started.

OK. on with the seriousness. I am writing this primarily to explain my process of progressing from never raced before to solid Cat3 in 2 months. If you don’t care, then fuck off with your useless commentary.
This training regimen was directed for the purpose of catting up and looking cool.

Diet:
Actually, I’m serious about the booze and caffeine. But, I’m also allergic to mostly everything and both of those upset my already upset stomach. What worked for me, is train, race and rest with water. Once a month, during a big race, I’d use an energy drink, which had negative consequences like wicked headaches, but allowed me to smash on fools, for the time being.
Throughout the weeks I restricted my diet to about a third smaller portions than I wanted. Most of the time I was fine with less and was often just needing more rest and water.
Core foods and nutrients are Beans, Rice, Avocados, Whole Milk, Eggs, omega3 capsules, multi vitamins, Broccoli and potatoes. Sushi about once a week.

Rest:
Serious about all that rest. You should be too. Get earplugs and eye-mask, try the White Noise app. My legs do this thing when they aren’t ready to be used again before they all-the-sudden wake up and are rip-roaring. I relate it to a muscle car. You know how they grumble and sputter while they idle, but give the engine some air and fuel and shit gets real? Training the body is the same way, it becomes temperamental and powerful. You must submit to its needs or you will at least burnout.

Mileage:
Here’s an example of my first month
RR- Recovery is easy spinning on chicago-style terrain. Breaking any kind of a sweat is not desired. Ride like Rudy.
PS- Power Starts are from 5mph starting in the highest gear on flat ground, MASH for the chosen amount of time. usually about 10-15 seconds. put about 10 minutes of recovery riding in-between these.
FM- Foundation Miles are the shit and I’d do them forever. The point of these are to keep output well within physical limits, but pushing enough to be making progress and to be sore. According to sports medicine people whom I am too lazy to find reference for, the purpose of this training period helps build the muscle foundation, increase mitochondria and blood oxygen levels. My theory on racing is that I’d be trained so well that I race at training pace and train at racing pace. Get it? That way I’m mentally able to stay alert while racing. Rando bikes are perfect for FM because I can pack a picnic, and still get somewhere. Bring a camera, look smug in the countryside.

RS- Race Simulation can be a group ride or a race. This can be, but is usually not the time to physically push the limits. Focus on pacelines, rotation and close-quarter intensity, and being safe.

FP- spin at 90% of max cadence for the given amount of time, reach max cadence at least once during this session. Rollers are great for this.
Rest Days- This is where you get to take back the week. Go skateboarding, FUCK YOUR BIKE, be a pedestrian, watch movies, write a paper, have some wicked secks, use a dildo or something, cycling means nothing to you on this day.

In following months, as my body strengthens, time and intensity can be added to workouts. Racing increased and helped gauge abilities. @ Rudy: racing and training for it builds a strong body useful for taking a mega-long and comfortable tour.

Fun having:
Coldest showers everyday. Stay in the water until your body begins to feel warm. Climb back into bed immediately after. Drink water before climbing into bed, because the kidneys don’t appreciate all the purged toxins.
Push ups, and core strengthening exercises improve comfort on the bike thus improving stamina.
TdT: KOM or die. Do it like Timarchy without the ruining yourself when you get back to the US.
Smoke a cig every once in a while 'cause spiritual. Drink a beers and use a drugs sometimes too.
Consider working as a valet because running for work means two birds one stone.
Race and train on the same bike fit. Race on a bike that has not exhausted your budget. However, train on a bike that has. The peace of mind achieved when wrecking something that doesn’t matter so much to you is a big deal.

Um… I dunno. suffer now, because it takes the edge off everything after.

[quote=Sandbagbear]1.) Don’t ride everyday
7.) Choose to be a loner, because to be the best you have to be alone, so start getting used to it.
I’m planning to actually contribute to this thread, but I’m too tired to write what I mean, and DO want to get the discussion started.[/quote]

1. done
  2. missing.
  3. pfffft. to get 20hrs, i’d have to go to bed at 10pm and i have a job in the middle of the day that doesn’t allow naps.
  4. no coffee and/or beer for a day? whatevs.
  5. done.
  6. done.
  7. done.
  8. i’m not one and i don’t even know any.
  9. done.
  10. done.
  11. does not compute.

so am i fast?

dont ride every day?

burnout brah.

dont ride centuries everyday.

you’ve become annoying.
you weren’t at first, but now you suck.

depends what kind of fast you want to be, atmo.

track, crit, road racer etc, need different training approaches. although, yes, this time of the year nearly everyone should be basing out.

WHERE IS #2 ON THE LIST

?

#2 CONTAINS THE KEY FOR SPEED

no coffee or alcohol? 12 hours of sleep a day? be a loner and live with + have friends?

<- not buying it

bASICALLY jus not be lazy an u can be fast liek sanbagbear

no only when drunk option?

[quote=thehappyrobot]you’ve become annoying.
you weren’t at first, but now you suck.[/quote]

i’m sorry you feel that way

^DRAMA!!!

I get 4-6 hrs of sleep a night, drink at least 6-8 cups of coffee a day, smoke a bit, and enjoy whiskey pretty often.

Is #2 “It’s all mental, so none of this actually matters”? Coz I feel fast and that’s all that matters.

i most certainly have the not ride everyday thing on lock. but i do structured roller workouts twice a week.

[quote=Sandbagbear]1.) Don’t ride everyday
I’m planning to actually contribute to this thread, but I’m too tired to write what I mean, and DO want to get the discussion started.[/quote]

terrible advice

Shit… I totally ride every day, too. I’ve got it all wrong.

[quote=Elderberry]
Is #2 “It’s all mental, so none of this actually matters”? Coz I feel fast and that’s all that matters.[/quote]

We got that PMA.

…and dog-gonnit, people like me!

It’s true. I ride every day and I’m slow as hell.
I think the bulk of my riding is at like 40% of my ability.
Chillin’ brah.

Also,

[quote=Elderberry]^DRAMA!!!

I get 4-6 hrs of sleep a night, drink at least 6-8 cups of coffee a day, smoke a bit, and enjoy whiskey pretty often.

Is #2 “It’s all mental, so none of this actually matters”? Coz I feel fast and that’s all that matters.[/quote]
a dude I could most certainly kick it/ride with.

[quote=Rusty Piton]It’s true. I ride every day and I’m slow as hell.
I think the bulk of my riding is at like 40% of my ability.
Chillin’ brah.[/quote]