get me into absurd tail lighting

I mount them ever so slightly up (very slightly) so they’ll get up & at vehicle driver eyes. Been very pleased with the results so far, and one of the biggest benefits of a dynamo taillight is the steady (as opposed to blinking) operation, which makes it much less annoying for other riders following you and more like a “real” vehicle for car drivers imho.

[quote=euflavine]Check out this rad E3 tail light mounting by Corey Thompson:

[/quote]
I don’t know if I think that position is all that rad for the E3. It’s going to get blocked at all but the most distant distances by the chainstay / hub IMHO.

They do like to explode or turn themselves on/off when bumped, and I hate the flashing modes.

The only real reason dynamo taillights don’t blink is because blinking shit is illegal in the countries where dynamos actually get sold.

Another big problem is that it gets completely blocked from the drive side by the rest of the wheelparts, especially at the rim/tire/fender.

My friend set up his bike that way because he needed to be able to remove the rack+fenders to mount fat knobbies:

He ended up putting a PBSF on the seatpost just in case, and it panned out when we tested it later — the dynamo light is a lot brighter, but as soon as you get to the right of him it’s invisible.

I just got the ‘other’ light by Portland Design Works, the Danger Zone. Whoa, bright. Easily 2x as bright as my PBSF.

The flashing modes are less seizure-inducing, so that’s probably good. I have a feeling it’ll announce your presence without throwing out so much craziness that drivers have a hard time judging how much space to give you.

Debating if I want to put both on the bike. I probably will if I’m brave enough to commute alone, 28 miles, a lot of it in the dark.

[quote=blasdelf][quote=biekridd]real talk: fukka pbsf[/quote]They do like to explode or turn themselves on/off when bumped, and I hate the flashing mode.
[/quote]
ftfy

that dually pdw looks nice.

the viewing angle issue is really only an issue in some situations. like, if you want to put a light on a messenger bag.

Forgot that the PBSF doesn’t have the usual 7 different patterns like a christmas tree light string, I don’t use it that often

Remembered the hilarious “Demo Mode” that Blackburn lights ship in, seems like every time I’ve been in a shop recently I’ve seen a shop rat stand there at the register mid-checkout holding the button down for 30s

They do like to explode or turn themselves on/off when bumped, and I hate the flashing modes.[/quote]

this. also even in light rain mine goes haywire!

how hard would it be to add a gasket around the lens like every other blinky and/or waterproof the important bits inside? i mean for a blinky that costs almost $30…

I usually just wrap some electrical tape around where the lens meets the body. Keeps water out, and keeps it from asploding everywhere when dropped.

The two Superflashes I own have been bomber for the 2.5+/- years I’ve been using them (in all conditions including heavy rain). I did have one spontaneously pop apart a few weeks ago, but that’s literally the only time. And the battery life has been excellent. I really can’t complain other than I prefer dynamo-driven taillights for convenience and theft resistance.

They do like to explode or turn themselves on/off when bumped, and I hate the flashing modes.[/quote]

this. also even in light rain mine goes haywire!

how hard would it be to add a gasket around the lens like every other blinky and/or waterproof the important bits inside? i mean for a blinky that costs almost $30…[/quote]

I thought mine had a gasket? Dunno, I’ve had no issues with mine. I keep it on the seatpost so it’s probable the saddle prevents it from getting wet

is it me or does biek and blasdelf seem like very similar characters, almost like he made a sockpuppet so he can show pictures of himself and his bikes without the drama

Never had issues with a Superflash. Ever. Sure, there are better lights but not at the price point.

This.

A friend of mine started using thick produce rubber bands from broccoli for this, plus it also dampens the button a bunch.

A friend of mine started using thick produce rubber bands from broccoli for this, plus it also dampens the button a bunch.[/quote]
good idea!

just looked at mine- it does have a gasket, rather ineffective though at being a gasket.

I don’t see how the rubber band would keep water out, as the light is irregularly shaped.
Yeah, the gasket is worthless- it seems like it only traps water inside rather than keeps water out. I’ve had to open mine to let it dry out, but it never stopped working even with water inside. I’m curious to see if this happens on my full-fendered bike, I doubt it will.

I like my SF but I’m gonna get a radbot cuz rad.

PBSF costs $16 in canada thanks to MEC. It’s pretty much the best deal going in battery powered lights. and the battery life is excellent. that said, the radbot looks like it does have its place. That extra bit of brightness would help a lot for city commuting. For randonneuring where you are in real darkness, imo the superflash is plenty.

I feel like even my superflash gets drowned out in the city sometimes, especially during dusk.

version two. they rattled the waterbottle out of the cage, so i just took the cage off and ziptied them up, and wrapped the whole thing in a busted tube.

this is great during the day but the battery life isn’t good enough for a permanent mount like this. knog boomer is better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NFiUZfgQBo

iknorite? When there are lots of tired, impatient commuters on the road, lights shining everywhere, the sun is at a low angle if it’s visible at all, and especially when light is getting diffused through rain soaked windshields, you just need a shit load of light to cut through.

Primary purpose is defense against suicide (via exploding or button vibration)