get me into winter cycling

STFU new guy.

That’s what I do, though I built up my winter bike so well that it became a bike I care about in the process. Therefore: Frame Saver.

I started out on a Jeep Renegade MTB frame. That thing was a great winter bike. Nothing special, but built strong and something I didn’t have to care about too much.

if you’re going to try, go all the
way.
otherwise, don’t even start.

if you’re going to try, go all the
way. this could mean losing girlfriends,
wives, relatives, jobs and
maybe your mind.

go all the way.
it could mean not eating for 3 or
4 days.
it could mean freezing on a
park bench.
it could mean jail,
it could mean derision,
mockery,
isolation.
isolation is the gift,
all the others are a test of your
endurance, of
how much you really want to
do it.
and you’ll do it
despite rejection and the
worst odds
and it will be better than
anything else
you can imagine.

if you’re going to try,
go all the way.
there is no other feeling like
that.
you will be alone with the
gods
and the nights will flame with
fire.

do it, do it, do it.
do it.

all the way
all the way.
you will ride life straight to
perfect laughter,
it’s the only good fight
there is.

riding to work brb

McLovin?

lol

Whoever said that neoprene booties aren’t waterproof hasn’t tried these:

http://www.rei.com/product/725342

I’ve purchased two pairs over the past 4 years and swear by them.

Synthetics and wool against skin only. No cotton unless there’s something underneath it. Cotton long johns are the WORST thing.

Experimentation with layering is the key. After a while, you get a sense of what you’ll need in most situations.

Gore makes excellent jackets. I often use this as my outer layer throughout fall/winter:

http://www.rei.com/product/766288

If they salt the roads, not only framesaver if riding steel, but rebuild any bike you’re going to ride making sure to use plenty of grease on all threads, contact points, clamps, etc.

If you go by Grant Peterson wisdom, periodically you’ll ride slightly underdressed. I recommend it if you don’t live in a place that doing so will lead to a freezing death. Do this to HTFU. I also recommend to get out and ride everyday or as much as possible as the temps are changing. The acclimation to the colder temps is much more gradual and pleasant.

I vote for single speed for winter. Gears in winter are a pain to keep clean and maintained.

Last but not least, hopefully you don’t have to deal with horrible air quality due to temperature inversions and moronic conservative politicians who don’t understand EPA air quality regs. If you do, then get one of these:

Although, they suck if you have a beard. Also, you can’t ride too fast without getting winded. But, I guess it’ll save your lungs in the long run.

^those aren’t neoprene

today i bought a merino cycling cap thing to wear under my helmet. not one of those dorky skullcaps. the totally not dorky cycling cap. with that folddown ear cover thing. gotta look pro.

tc: i have a stockpile of cotton longjohns that i will never wear again. i get the for xmas from mommy so i cant bring myself to chuck 'em

^lulz. I been there.

…those caps are nice until it’s below freezing and windy and not unlike the ice age, at least in my experience.

winter fred tip: give less of a fuck about fashion. otherwise, you wont make it past dec.

wtf it’s 85 degrees today.

This was me from 2 years ago:

Last year I ditched the pea coat for a hoodie with some kind of wool lining that I picked up from Target that ended up being surprisingly warm, not to mention much more flexible, and in a more visible colourway (grey). I made arm warmers and sewed on some reflective squares to make signaling more visible. I also picked up some woolen socks, too.

The pinnacle of fashion I am not. But warm? You got it, dude.

that’s how i thought you would look

Soft shells are another good option for an outer layer 'cause they’re very breathable - I messed through two winters in Toronto with this thing, which I loved: http://www.lokiusa.com/product_detail.php?ID=C101

Face masks are awesome when it’s freezing cold, though not compatible with eyewear. Thrift store wool is an awesome cheap base layer. Full fenders, of course, make a huge difference when it’s wet and slushy. Gore Tex socks don’t last long enough to be worth the money.

Swrve’s winter pants made winter so much more pleasant last year. I wore them every single day. I love them. No long johns needed.

WARM LEGS

Also, I really recommend Pace’s wool cycling cap. That thing is awesome too.

is this too good to be true? i have a summit series gore-windstopper soft-shell that i really like, but i want a gore-tex shell, too. i mean, is it possible that this won’t really be gore-tex?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SUMMITSERIES-Mens-3-LAYER-Gore-Tex-2in1-jacket-bk-/270642212169?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&vti=Size%09S&hash=item84b7314a2a

thats what i bought