getting hit by cars

Last night my friends chain popped off and he went flying into an intersection. He yelled OH SHIT right before getting clobbered by some young girl in an Altima. He went flying over her windshield, over her roof, off her trunk and onto the curb 40 feet away. Everyone ran to him to make sure he was ok, which he was. They woudln’t let him move until the ambulance arrived just to make sure his neck wasn’t broken or anything. He like bailed off his bike before getting hit, so I don’t even think his bike got hit much. The front wheel is bent but it’s truable. The girl that him said it was her first car. Her windshield is dessttrooyyeddddddd and she was crying so much. I told all the cops that it was nowhere near her fault, his chain went off and he went through a red, so I tried to make things as easy as possible on her. It’s insane how my friend basically tackled her windshield with his body then flew onto the curb and is totally ok. How do you think this is going to play out for the girl and her car?

dang man people getting clobbered left and right these days, makes a dude afraid to even go outside

glad your boy is okay
seems like something that’s pretty clearly an accident that’s nobody’s fault and so maybe insurance will throw down some cash or something
but these things so rarely play out according to what makes sense

does he have liability on his brakeless fixie?

Her insurance should cover but it all depends on how the police report goes.

Not that the insurance/cops know enough to ask or care, but what was your friend riding? Fixie? No brakes? Experienced rider?

Glad to hear no one got hurt.

The cops said hitting his brakeless fixie is comparable to hitting a deer in an insurance companies eyes, if that answers your question.

Yeah I’m glad he’s ok too, it seems everyone is indeed getting clobbered. It scared the fuck out of me though watching my friend go flying off a car onto a curb.

his wheel -

That’s really all the damage to his bike but I’m going to go to his house to take pictures of his back. He bled all over the sidewalk

[quote=Yves]Her insurance should cover but it all depends on how the police report goes.

Not that the insurance/cops know enough to ask or care, but what was your friend riding? Fixie? No brakes? Experienced rider?

Glad to hear no one got hurt.[/quote]

He was riding fixed brakeless, but we were with a group on a ride and the majority of us were riding fixed brakeless, including myself. The whole “get a brake” argument is applicable, but not really exclusive to him. Honestly, not super experienced. This was his first time anything like this at all happening to him, but he’s been riding fixed with no brakes since before summer, so I dunno, your call on experienced or not.

The cops didn’t ask at all if he was experienced, anything about the bike, or even whos fault it was really. They said it wasn’t there place to determine fault, they just documented it all and will give her insurance company the info they said.

[quote=spacetime]The cops said hitting his brakeless fixie is comparable to hitting a deer in an insurance companies eyes, if that answers your question.

Yeah I’m glad he’s ok too, it seems everyone is indeed getting clobbered. It scared the fuck out of me though watching my friend go flying off a car onto a curb.[/quote]

Yeah. The girl should be fine.

[quote=spacetime][quote=Yves]Her insurance should cover but it all depends on how the police report goes.

Glad to hear no one got hurt.[/quote]

He was riding fixed brakeless, but we were with a group on a ride and the majority of us were riding fixed brakeless, including myself. The whole “get a brake” argument is applicable, but not really exclusive to him. Honestly, not super experienced. This was his first time anything like this at all happening to him, but he’s been riding fixed with no brakes since before summer, so I dunno, your call on experienced or not.

The cops didn’t ask at all if he was experienced, anything about the bike, or even whos fault it was really. They said it wasn’t there place to determine fault, they just documented it all and will give her insurance company the info they said.[/quote]

No yeah, just curiosity.

I honestly don’t have any judgement on others riding brakeless. I personally wouldn’t.

shoulda ted shred’ed

coz too juiced on 18 visions

Except that a person can pay damages and be at fault, a deer can not.

Sorry to hear about it, and I’m glad your friend is ok. Hopefully the girl’s insurance will not try and get damages out of your friend for this, but if you draw a parallel to this situation in a car/car accident (brake or accelerator malfunction), they likely would. My best advice is for your friend to call his insurance company or talk to a lawyer the second the girl’s company starts getting a hold of him, they won’t be patient, and they’ll try and pressure him to say what they want on many recorded phone calls.

Not trying to be a downer, but if she’s filing a claim, and the police report says your friend was at fault, you can’t take this insurance stuff lightly. The agents are bad people and will do all kinds of crazy stuff to get the answers they want. In one case I had the same agent tell me that what I was reading off the police report was a lie, lie to me about when they received the accident report, then yell at me telling me my bike “couldn’t have been worth much, like $100, right, I’ve bought bikes before, give me a brake.”

Glad he is OK, but I think it is his fault.

How does your chain pop off?

don’t do it again… getting hit by cars

like this: POP!

mechanical abilites.
he not haz 'em.

This becomes an issue for tort.

The girl if she decides to file a claim through insurance (which would cause her premiums to likely skyrocket assuming shes a youngen) then the insurance liability department will look and see that there is no way it was her fault. They will then attempt to get money from your boy who “caused the accident” (depending on what the police report says). Your boy, likely not having monies, will ultimately have to hope some form of his personal insurance covers bicycling accidents (homeowners, renters, auto, etc.) and then they will file a claim with that.

It could be a wise choice to try to contact the girl and see if she’s contacted her insurance company yet and then simply offer to pay for the damages (or go 50/50 or something) yourself so as to avoid the insurance premium issue. Though this is exactly what insurance is for.

Its one of those unfortunate situations where realistically your boy didn’t mean to cause the accident, but still has and thus he is liable.

[quote=EivlEvo]This becomes an issue for tort.

It could be a wise choice to try to contact the girl and see if she’s contacted her insurance company yet and then simply offer to pay for the damages (or go 50/50 or something) yourself so as to avoid the insurance premium issue. Though this is exactly what insurance is for.

Its one of those unfortunate situations where realistically your boy didn’t mean to cause the accident, but still has and thus he is liable.[/quote]

This is good advice.

did this when my chain dropped in traffic once. worked well atmo

The boy is liable. If the girl has comprehensive insurance and files a claim through her insurance company then her insurance company will spend all of about 2 seconds considering whether they should go after this boy before they decide it’s not worth the time and just pay off the girl less her deductible.

I’ll happily proffer judgment on folks that choose to ride without brakes. It’s stupid.