Deore LX RD
Ultegra 3x9
Avid BBDB
Deore hubs
A319 rims

triple bottle mounts on the aluminum frame and a heavy-ass steel fork

Also had these spokes I’ll never use

and these ugly thing for cable routing

Internal cable routing in the top and bottom tube which sucks. Rear clearance is like 32mm with fender and I wish it was a little wider

First plans:

• remove cross levers
  • TRP Spyres
  • normal stem
  • marathon supremes (already have)
  • pin pebals

better ideas appreciated

yikes

dat gearing. it’s a really ugly bike but it will probably look ok once you take the time to fix the godawful cockpit and neaten it up. which you should have done before showing us, but it’s ok. you seem excited.

fender clearance looks shit so you should probably just put big tires on it. tubeless?

I’d be tempted to paint it.

That bike looks incomplete without a weird post-mount rack and bungees.

That stem is the icing on the cake.

stem and ergos need to go for sure. How would the clearance look if 650b?

Another bike that needs a HG fork

Unfortunately, like a Soma saga, this thing has v-brake bosses and disc mounts. I’m guessing that means I can’t try 650b without hacking them off. Fork is narrow enough I’d guess 42 safe limit w 650

Used to sell those. Totally ahead of their time in a disc brake road bike. Rumor has it they were highly sought after for those red bull downhill road races that we’re all the rage at the time. Cool to see one still around. Interested to see how they compare to current fat tire disc road bikes.

That is hideous.

Get out

That saddlepost has a nice amount of setback.

That’s awesome to hear. It seemed special to me. Only made 03-04 and poor sellers according to the bike forums guys. But all the owners seem to cherish them

I’m gonna make you guys love this bike you just wait

Unfortunately, like a Soma saga, this thing has v-brake bosses and disc mounts. I’m guessing that means I can’t try 650b without hacking them off. Fork is narrow enough I’d guess 42 safe limit w 650[/quote]

huh?

hows the unused post gonna affect the 650b tire?

Unfortunately, like a Soma saga, this thing has v-brake bosses and disc mounts. I’m guessing that means I can’t try 650b without hacking them off. Fork is narrow enough I’d guess 42 safe limit w 650[/quote]

huh?

hows the unused post gonna affect the 650b tire?[/quote]
Yeah that.
A pair of 650B wheels from ebay with disc brake hubs checks all the boxes.

Also agree with:

• Clean the fuck outta that cockpit.
  • Endpoint H/G fork. Fred could probably point you in the right direction if the Endpoint is to spendy…
  • 650B all the wheels for clearance/fenders/sweet supplelyfe.

[quote=dorth]…
I’d be tempted to paint it.[/quote]
Yup.

That Giant most definitely has 130 spacing.

EJ likely remembers more details about them.

I remember one customer who weighed about 300lb and would commute 15mi every day on his. He also added stuff like a light system made from a car battery and car headlight (or maybe a pool light) and a homemade rack made from steel. The bike held up well, though we did end up building him wheels from whatever downhill mtb parts were available at the time that fit.

I’m not saying you’re wrong… but that is a Deore hub back there.

I am dumb thinking 650b was small enough to bump against 700c canti bosses. Shameful. I will measure for 650b when the time is right to get new wheels.

Peak bike hobby for me is putting together technical equivalent to a bike that costs 2x, 3x more. Rarely achieved since I don’t know enough

The rear is 135mm Deore, unless there was a 130mm version I haven’t heard about

The bike was so ahead of its time that only MTB disc hubs were available?