girl wants a bike

i picked up an early 80’s peugeot that had been sitting in someones garage since new for free, working at a shop rocks so hard. the thing was untouched, tires still had nipples and the paint was perfect. rebuilt everything, new rubber and bright orange bar tape. she loves it and rides to work a few times a week.

bitches love freewheels and friction shifters. :bear:

-j

HAHA SUCKERS!

i bought my girlfriend a fucking badass paconi track frame and donated my oldest wheels (aeroheads on formulas) and a bunch of parts and built it up for her birthday/christmas. she rides the fuck out if it and looks hot doing it.

Do you know this girl or did you overhear her talking about bikes?

I’m just dissappointed in you for selling that beautiful Cdale.
And for not selling it to me.
I don’t actually have anything against the Madison.
It’s a fine bike.

oh yeah my girlfriend built up this bike

except that now it has a tiny lady brooks saddle and a nitto ct-80 stem. i like her.

My girlfriend has an early-80s Bianchi Pista that a woman’s national championship was won on, but she still doesn’t ride it enough for my liking.

inform her but don’t influence her.

she won’t ride if her bike isn’t comfortable enough or fast enough to keep up with you, if those things matter to her. you need to talk to her to find out why she wants a bike and what kind of bike she wants, not tarckbike.com

my girlfriend rides a raleigh c40 comfort hybrid 40# monster and it’s the most comfortable thing ever, but she’s winded just rolling down a hill trying to keep up with me. either i go very slowly everwhere (and she still overexerts herself) or i try to get her on my road bike, which i bought small specifically so i could fit her to it as well, and she can’t get used to how harsh it rides.

what i’m saying is, if she says she wants to get a bike, great.

but inform her decision, don’t influence it- make sure she gets the one she wants, not the one you want her to have. and also- big advice coming up:

TALK with her about why she wants a bike. does she want it for her own reasons, like transportation, exercise, and fun or does she want it because she wants to spend more time with you? both are good reasons but you need to talk about it so that you can best suit those needs.

300 spent on two, a pair of target(not walmart, fuck walmart) beach cruisers will be much more fun to ride together than 300 spent on a windsor she’s going to hate or a atb she’s going to fall behind on.

also, if you have a car and a rack you can drive to a destination with the bikes on and that way you get to bike in an ideal location together, like the beach, without wearing yourselves out getting there… unless you live in an ideal, fun biking location.

i live at the top of a HUGE hill (400 feet of elevation in less than a nautical mile) and it’s scary going down into town and it’s murder coming back up… i am finally able to get up in my lowest gear on the road bike but when i do get up i’m soaked in sweat and winded. my girlfriend has to walk the bike(a forty pound monster) back up and is even worse off. it’s not fun.

so really talk about what your goals are, and what you both want out of it. then, inform her about bikes but don’t influence her by saying tarck bikes are awesome because of all the good things about them and all other bikes stink because they don’t have as many color options.

^ you suck.

cc I thought your final paragraph, more specifically the final sentence was beautiful

i edited it a bunch but thanks.

i’m trying to be pretty genuinely helpful here because i think this is a pretty common thing for people in long term relationships.

[quote=“cc700”]i edited it a bunch but thanks.

i’m trying to be pretty genuinely helpful here because i think this is a pretty common thing for people in long term relationships.[/quote]

I learned pretty early not to impose my own tastes and preferences too much. If it’s not her thing she’s not going to like it. That’s just human nature.

It really does help a lot if the person you are acquiring the bike for/helping figures out what they want.
my favorite story is when my girlfriend first got her bike and refused to let me ride with her . She would just take off while i was at class or with some friends or whatever.

this one time on pdxfixed I got real sad because some girl was selling a specialized dolce that obviously fit her perfectly, and she said she’d just bought it to ride with her boyfriend, who was a roadie

another girl on the forum was like “well maybe she just didn’t like biking, not everyone does”

but doesn’t everyone? I mean, if you put someone in a pleasant environment that they were comfortable with, on a bike that they were happy with and was fit properly, how can you NOT LIKE BIKING

is it even possible

sweat

nautical mile

?

get tarck or die tryin

I built my girl an old Raleigh, and she loved it, so I gave her my old fuji track and she loves it even more. We painted it mustard yellow. She has been looking at some orange velocity wheels, so I am going to get those for her for xmas…and those lovely white tires she wants too. Then she will have a more tarck looking bike then me.

Edit: she rides the thing all the fucking time…to work and back, to the grocery store…and anywhere else I ride. She definitely rode more than me for 3 months while my back was broken.

[quote=“biekridder”]nautical mile

?[/quote]

wiki it, google it, or otherwise figure it out. basically, it’s a little longer than a mile and it’s only measured by meridian, not up hills.

you can go five miles up a cliff face and only travel a third of a nautical mile… see what i mean?

I built a road bike for my friend Zibby.
It’s exactly what she wanted and she is very happy with it.
I know it will get used daily because she’s been riding a hybrid that dosn’t fit her every day for the last three months, maybe ten to twenty miles a day.
Shes stoked to have a bike that will be fast and comfortable.
Pre-saddle: