glasses/sunglasses to ride w/

So…I hate wearing contacts. Rather my eyes really hate them.
I got a rock to the eye yesterday j ust wearing my glasses and it hurt leading me to think “hey I should really get some prescription sunglasses.”

I don’t want to spend tons of money, but I want something to protect my eyes from rock spray from the dude in front of me.

I like tifosis and they are pretty reasonable, any places online that have cheap lenses?

I don’t wear contacts for one reason or another, but I think I’m going to pick some up just to ride with. The sweat x mist x rain on the lenses collab sucks.

I hate riding with both glasses and contacts. I like it when I have to wear sunglasses. I should get a good pair.

I really liked my Oakley Radar frames. They didn’t fog or get misty when I stopped riding because of some black magic voodoo pagan hydrophobic coating on there.
But they were stolen.

I also have some “sweet” ed hardy sunglasses from my douchey ex time period of life that need to be destroyed by lasers pew pew pew. I’m even embarassed to take them to a thrift store to sell.

get contacts that you can leave in for a month and forget they are there.

One thing to mention is that prescription sunglasses can end up being big $$$ if you get something with a lot of sweep to the lens. I’m also so blind that it’s impossible to get me into some of the setups for under $450. I got a pair of plain jane Nike frames and had my eye doctor put a pair of non-polarized driving lenses into them and it only ended up costing me $330 before insurance. Use them benefits if you have them.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you can sometimes find nice frames on sale at sporting goods stores and have people drop RX lenses into them. It wouldn’t hurt to do some research before buying them though, because it would suck to spend 60 bucks on a pair of frames that you won’t be able to use. I have a friend who has 2 pairs of Smiths that he’s had put together in this manor, one with clear lenses and one with a light brown tint. If you end up buying Rudy Projects, they have to be sent in to Rudy himself to have the lenses put into them. I don’t know who else is like this, but it’s worth mentioning. Just an annoying fact of life.

I still have no idea why eyeglasses cost so much goddamn money. I suppose it’s a captive audience, but you’d think that supply/demand would eventually knock the prices down. Lasik sounds like a better idea every time I have to buy a pair.

i was under the impression that unless you’re a certified PRO you only can wear wayfarers

Wayfarers look totally ridiculous on me.

And most of the rest of the population, too.

go to hardware store. buy safety glasses for under $10.

win.

i guess this doesn’t work if you need prescription lenses.

fail i guess.

Thank you for contributing, biek.

They told me that once my eyes stopped changing that Lasik would the way to go. I’m 36 and my eyes are still getting worse. I figure that by the time they stop changing, I’ll have expired.

Tifosi offers pretty reasonable perscription options, shouldnt set you back more than $200 for glasses + lenses IIRC

I really liked my Oakley Radar frames. They didn’t fog or get misty when I stopped riding because of some black magic voodoo pagan hydrophobic coating on there.
But they were stolen.

I also have some “sweet” ed hardy sunglasses from my douchey ex time period of life that need to be destroyed by lasers pew pew pew. I’m even embarassed to take them to a thrift store to sell.[/quote]
Since you liek Radarz so much, would it be less costly for you to find a pair on eBay… keep the frame and flip the lenses for prescriptions?

They told me that once my eyes stopped changing that Lasik would the way to go. I’m 36 and my eyes are still getting worse. I figure that by the time they stop changing, I’ll have expired.[/quote]

i really want lasik too, but i don’t know when i could actually do it.

But they were stolen.

I also have some “sweet” ed hardy sunglasses from my douchey ex time period of life that need to be destroyed by lasers pew pew pew. I’m even embarassed to take them to a thrift store to sell.[/quote]
Since you liek Radarz so much, would it be less costly for you to find a pair on eBay… keep the frame and flip the lenses for prescriptions?[/quote]

yeah, but i kinda want something i could wear around without looking like a total bag of box ends.

transitions yo. get them in vagabond type frames.

What I use:

They are pretty good. I don’t know what Oakley’s deal is with prescription lenses but maybe you could work something out. I like the lighter lenses because you can wear them all the time, driving/riding in the rain they improve sight remarkably. I’ve had these for 3 years now, they look a little kooky but they are my DH goggles too. Maybe around $180 australian when our dollar was shit, I don’t know what they’d be there. Probably not your style though, they aren’t too hip.

There are several Rudy models that take a clip-in Rx insert. You can take that thing to anyone to get Rx lenses ground for it. I’ve been using various styles from them for about 12 years. I’m a big fan of being able to buy multiple non-Rx sunglass lenses for the frames and still getting the benefit of my scrip from the insert that sits just behind the sunglass lenses.

edit: currently using the Ekynox.

My bad on the faulty advice there. I’m was just going off of what my eye doctor had told me.

I’m pretty sure that my high radius lens statement is true though, because I got the same answer from 3 different places. I suppose it doesn’t mattter though, because you probably don’t need a pair of glasses in my scrip.

You were correct on a good chunk of Rudy models. They just also make some that take the insert that any lens grinder can deal with. I’m fairly blind as well and used to go through agony getting Rx sun glasses until I started using the Rudy insert models. I still end up paying 350-400 to get the insert filled, but at least I can skimp on coatings and use the nice stock lenses that come with the glasses.

I think they have some frames that are the direct “in frame” ones that you have to send to them, some with inserts that anyone can fill, and some kind of in between insert thing that only certain shops and Rudy can fill.