h+son sl42 as crit rims... report

So I finally got around to lacing up some of the all black SL42s that Tzusing sent a few months back. 32 hole radial front, 32 hole 3x drive/radial non drive rear. Laced to Velocity’s standard road hubs (oh the irony!).

Took them out for their first ride/race yesterday. I live about 1 mile from the local tuesday night crit course so I put the wheels on the trust caad9 for the first time and rolled out my door. The first couple times breaking on the way over there was some weird squeaking but that quickly went away.

After a few warm up laps it was time to race.

The wheels felt all of the following…

Solid
Stiff
Not harsh.

The last was the most surprising. I was expecting a rougher ride out of a 42mm aluminum rim. Weight wise the wheelset competitive with any deep section clincher out there (mavic cosmic carbone, zipp 404, reynolds assault) and with a bit lighter hubs (DT, Am classic, Tune) the would be equal or lighter even with 32 spokes.

I priced them out complete for about $550 which makes them roughly 1/4 the price of 404 clinchers. Not bad.

But anyway… they rode really well. I am VERY satisfied with how they turned out and am anxiously awaiting lower spoke count drillings to play with.

Tzusing… get at those 24 and 28 hole rims asap (or maybe even a 16?).

Also… QBP got their shipment in so just about any shop can get them now.

Braden

I saw these in the Quality catalog. Now you need to get some Cubans down in Miamis making pre-built wheels for J&B.

hmm, with that in mind, i’ll keep those in consideration if i do a new set of wheels

group buy?

yeah, the 24/28 splits would be nice. it’s something worth waiting for.

employee discount ftmfw!!!

Isn’t Tzusing coming out with a 50mm rim?

50mm might be pushing it as a crit wheel depending on weight. I would be more interested in a tubular at that depth.

50mm aluminum rim?
im curious how much thatd weigh

These are out. And have been out for awhile. QBP did not order them tho. =(
You can get them from my store.

Thanks for the review Braden! And yes i’m so happy QBP finally have my rims in stock in the US. There will be a significant price drop on formation face for the next order they make. Which means there will be a price drop for dealers and end users as well.

H PLUS SON
NO EXplosion.

BTW I have nothing to do with this photo. I don’t endorse jumping like this with my rims. But this guy made it out ok.

My new “deeper rim” is really just a stronger formation face (heavier) for the trick market. I have had the idea since the start to make something like this but i guess velocity beat me to the punch. But there will be some difference with the rim (VS b43) And also the joint will be flash welded.

We have rolled a 52mm before, it’s totally doable. But the sidewalls have to be really really thin to have it under 700 grams.

I think it’s time for me to build up a set of these.

doing anything really LOW profile any time soon?

I really want to.

something so low profile it only covers the bead, make it kinda round so it can just look like it’ part of my tire.
faux-tubulars that have spokes coming out

Keeping in mind I know nothing about building wheels…I am looking into new wheels for my road bike, and building them myself. Is there anything about h+sons that would make them more difficult for a first time builder?

[quote=dumpsterlife]Keeping in mind I know nothing about building wheels…I am looking into new wheels for my road bike, and building them myself. Is there anything about h+sons that would make them more difficult for a first time builder?[/quote]loosing nipples in the rim.
hahahahah

Setting the spokes in a deep-section rim is always a little more challenging that a low profile one, but still not that hard. If you don’t have the right wheel building tool at home and you’re having trouble setting the nipples, the best thing to do is to thread the backside of the nipple onto a loose spoke, then use that spoke to guide the nipple into the hole. Once there, lace it up to the correct spoke (one attached to the hub), and then back your extra spoke out.