Headset Recommendations

I’m looking for a reasonably priced 1" threadless headset for my Bareknuckle. I know it’s just a headset, but I want something that won’t go crunch after just a few months.

I’ve heard great things about the Cane Creek S-8. It’s only ~$50 and has been rated to be on par with CK ones. The CC S-3’s also seem to get a lot of attention.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=373897

The only thing is, they only come in 1-1/8", or at least that’s all I’ve been able to find.

I saw that the S-6 comes in 1", but it also gets significantly more negative reviews than the S-3/S-8.

Anyone have anything that comes into mind for ~$50?

Thanks doods.

Do you have a older Bareknuckle? I thought those were all 1 1/8" headtubes.

FSA Orbit X is a good one for 1’ threadless. So is the Cane Creek S2. they’re both under 50.

I guess they made Bareknuckles in both 1" and 1-1/8", depending on what they had at the time. I got mine new, but I think it’s NOS from a few years ago.

Cane Creek S2 1" threadless. Ugly and cheap, but better than a Chris King.

Read this:
http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset

Cane Creeks are fine. I’ve been using the same cobbled Aheadset (that’s probably also branded as a Cane Creek) for years on my BK. Just make sure to keep the grease clean and replace the bearings on rare occasion.

Aheadset generally sucks as most of 'em had caged bearings.

no such thing as 1" bareknuckle as far as i know

p.s. shoulda bought the one at the veloshop

[quote=halbritt]Cane Creek S2 1" threadless. Ugly and cheap, but better than a Chris King.

Read this:
http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset[/quote]

that’s a really cool, in-depth article. i’ve heard about this problem with kings before, but they explained it very well.

[quote=halbritt]Cane Creek S2 1" threadless. Ugly and cheap, but better than a Chris King.

Read this:
http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset[/quote]

An argument can be made about the design merits and obvious cost difference of the two headsets, but the point the author tries to bring up about the difference in hardness values of the bearing race materials is a bit silly. A 2 point difference on the Rockwell C scale is minuscule if not inconsequential, especially when both materials exhibit a variance larger than the difference (5 points) and overlap one another within that variance.

I’d agree that the Cane Creek wins on a budget build (the point of this thread anyway), but I’m not so sure I would call it better overall. Sorry for the digression.

edit: owait 1"

I got a 1" CK on ebay for 30 bux, give it a try.

Been putting CK on everything I build. I also just put a Cane Creek on my Phantom Uno, but I fucking hate that bike, so take from that what you will.

CK is nicer, higher quality, has better bearings, and looks better. Cane Creek has a superior design for the top cap centering ring.

Straight Talk: Any name-brand cartridge bearing headset will suit you just fine for normal riding in nearly any conditions.

Yeah I did read that article Britt, but it didn’t mention anything about the S-2/S-6. Thanks for the input, gentlemen (and Amy). Cane Creek it it is.

PS I didn’t have the money at the time for the shop one, and it was one size too big anyway.

Can you quantify or prove any of this? I’m not asking sarcastically, but I hear this said a lot, but never hear the why. I have a no-name headset on my hybrid of 9 years that has been through hell and back and never been maintained, and it still works perfectly. How is King better?

ethix: check yr PMs

I think there’s really no question that CK uses better materials and bearings all around, but what your statement demonstrates is that lesser materials are perfectly adequate, and Chris Kings are unnecessarily overbuilt and expensive. And I own two CKs.

I think there’s really no question that CK uses better materials and bearings all around, but what your statement demonstrates is that lesser materials are perfectly adequate, and Chris Kings are unnecessarily overbuilt and expensive. And I own two CKs.[/quote]

This. One examination of a Chris King and you’ll know the difference. Any kind of reasonably decent sealed cartridge bearings are going to be overkill for the application as long as they support axial loads well. IIRC I looked up some headset bearings in a bearing app chart and they were spec’d to 10k or 30k rpm or something.

What makes the bigger difference is that the headset be properly installed and adjusted.

which is why we should just be using headsets like this.

that man is ahead of his time.

Not really related:

I’m gonna break down and buy a crown race puller. Anyone recommend one which gives you all of it?