Help me build up this weird frame set. Pedimoto. Rohloff...

[quote=Shortpants]does anyone other than bmx companies make quill posts?

EDIT: I just realized I’m not even thinking of the right thing. I’m thinking of bmx posts that the rail clamp is adjusted through a slot in the seat. So not even the right type of seatpost. Now I realize I don’t think I’ve ever seen a quill seatpost.[/quote]
Youre thinking of a pivotal post

Looks feasible.

[quote=drwelby]It’s weird that the rear boss that looks like it’s for a tail light isn’t mitered to be parallel to the ground. Could that be there to hold the seat post like the old Peugeots?

[/quote]

I had this thought too

[quote=Goddamnit Gunther][quote=Shortpants]does anyone other than bmx companies make quill posts?

EDIT: I just realized I’m not even thinking of the right thing. I’m thinking of bmx posts that the rail clamp is adjusted through a slot in the seat. So not even the right type of seatpost. Now I realize I don’t think I’ve ever seen a quill seatpost.[/quote]
Youre thinking of a pivotal post

[/quote]

Yes I am! I always thought those were neat.

They make quill style Pivotals.

In a weird sort of fucked up way that post makes sense. I assume the bolt for the wedge is also the one used to clamp down the seat?

I saw photos on dude’s flicker where he built another frame that took a quill seatpost and saw the light braze on. In the comments here he says it’s for a quill seatpost.

You’re welcome for the link

Where does the brake cable exit? I remember a lot had pierced ST bare cables, which is even more of a seatpost hassle.

Does it have a port for a tail light wire? I can see a hole in the down tube in one of the pictures but I thought it could also be for one of the Rohloff cables.

It has two holes in the seat tube. One for the brake cable and one for a dynamo. But yeah, that does make the seat post debacle more debaclish. I only had a fizik arione on hand for checking the saddle height on the frame so I need to check for a brooks or something. It will be very short.

It would be a pretty easy machining project to mod one of these cheapo seatposts:

Put a flat and hole on the top, cut to length, cut the wedge piece, turn and tap a nut to press into the wedge.

Can’t you just slap a collar on it and call it good? Maybe even slot it. This is the opposite of threading a threadless 25.4mm steerer.

I don’t know if there’s enough material above the top tube?

[quote=drwelby]It would be a pretty easy machining project to mod one of these cheapo seatposts:
Put a flat and hole on the top, cut to length, cut the wedge piece, turn and tap a nut to press into the wedge.[/quote]

haha, yeah, that would work too.

maybe you could commission a seatpost from estlund, who would make exactly what you need. Personally, I’d probably fuck up the bike by slotting the seat tube, drilling out the end, filing it smooth, and throwing a low profile clamp on there because fuck a quill anything.

The frame is chromed? So adding ears on the back side for a clamp is harder.

An external clamp wouldn’t clear the TT/fillet.

You could slot a regular seatpost to pass the brake cable through, but not with a quill bolt in it.

Having it stop above the light brazeon bodes poorly for the frame, it should go at least past the SS crossing… Which is where the brake cable is.

debacle indeed

Does the hole on the tail light mount even go all the way through to use for a setscrew? I could see using something like one of those Nitto double-ended canti boss/rack mount bolts to hold the post and mount a bracket for a Secula.

[quote=Blakey] Having it stop above the light brazeon bodes poorly for the frame, it should go at least past the SS crossing… Which is where the brake cable is.
debacle indeed[/quote]

There are two holes below the light braze on. The top one is for dynamo routing and the bottom is for the brake cable. I think that’s plenty of seat post in the frame, coming from someone who is not a frame builder.