help me come to terms with yolo

I have a frame on order I’ll go down for the fitting in a year or so

logically it will use disc brakes and clinchers

help me come to terms with this sin before I off myself

I need your help

No fucking disks, seriously. Why would you do that to yourself if you don’t have to?

I want something that clears up to a 32c, with a tighter wheelbase. Mid reach calipers seem kinda shit. It will have a steel f/f, so I can put the brakes where ever. Whats holding me back is the 4? tubular 130mm wheels I already have.

think this, but with about 8cm more drop (I’d keep the setup pretty close to my spooky vs the high/short position i prefer for cross)

is it wrong to want a bike I can ride oneday with 25c road tubs, then swap the wheels for a lightly treaded tire to go ride in the desert the next?

Well, you have a year to see how road disc shit matures. Right now I wouldn’t unless you’re building a near carbon copy of Fred’s sled like I did.

well

one year is about what it sounded like when we drove though bozeman

whether I have the several thousand dollars between now and then is to be seen

Don’t tell us what kind of frame it is, that isn’t important.

if it’s a road bike and you’re trying to future proof it by getting discs then get 135mm rear spacing or don’t bother. Clinchers are fine unless you’re a snob that only rides on nice roads, or someone with a team mechanic. There are already bikes that can fit road tubulars and knobby tires for offroad they are called cyclocross bikes and some of them even come with disc brakes.

its a kirk

i thought the bozeman reference, and posting a photo of a kirk would explain that

bozeman bro
it’s a kirk
or isn’t there another builder there too?

i would use mid reach shimano calipers
they work well
my davidson clears right around 28mm with a honjo tucked there too…adn the pads are mid slot even
32mm and no fender should clear easy

my cx bike is nice, and has tubulars on it. I usually have a set of filetreads and something like a limus glued so I can ride whatever. I use it 1x10 with a bashguard for riding offroad

I’m not getting into the merit of tubular but any flat that would fuck you on a cx tire would shred your tubeless/tubed wheel as well. This would mostly be so I wouldn’t have to fly someplace like the bay area with two wheelsets, rather one and two sets of tires

^^^^ but you know…that is really something to discuss with dave when the time comes
i’m pretty sure he rides a road biek with dick brakes and claims they stop amazing

[quote=cookietruck]bozeman bro
it’s a kirk
or isn’t there another builder there too?

i would use mid reach shimano calipers
they work well
my davidson clears right around 28mm with a honjo tucked there too…adn the pads are mid slot even
32mm and no fender should clear easy[/quote]

strong is there too

thing is, because I am running a steel fork with whatever AC you want I could almost fit a 35 without giving up too much to hte spooky in terms of road riding. Keep the bb north of 7cm, FC a hair over 6cm (at most) and you should be golden. I still want it to hammer out with 25c.

I guess I want a homer bike

[quote=cookietruck]^^^^ but you know…that is really something to discuss with dave when the time comes
i’m pretty sure he rides a road biek with dick brakes and claims they stop amazing[/quote]
his road bike uses 7900 calipers, disc bike is his ‘cx bike’
I’m going to drive down with my cx and road bikes, basically tell him this is what I want make magic happen

They do stop amazing but so much fucking around all the time to get them to work properly–meaning able to stop effectively and not squealing.

On the other hand, a mechanical task that takes me a couple of hours probably takes you only a few minutes, so maybe that’s not a consideration.

[quote=Fergie]They do stop amazing but so much fucking around all the time to get them to work properly–meaning able to stop effectively and not squealing.

On the other hand, a mechanical task that takes me a couple of hours probably takes you only a few minutes, so maybe that’s not a consideration.[/quote]

No I’m fucking terrible at fixing shit
dont take my years of bikeshop labour to mean I have any fucking clue how stuff works

that being said I have a bb7 from 2005 that still works

[quote=catdrew f]I have a frame on order I’ll go down for the fitting in a year or so

logically it will use disc brakes and clinchers

help me come to terms with this sin before I off myself

I need your help[/quote]

meh on the discs unless they’re hydro and the rear is 135, just IMO, I think mid reach calipers would be better than cable discs and 130 spaced disc wheels. I’m also curious/skeptical wrt road disc forks and the change in dampening effect due to being beefed up for a disc brake. I would ask Kirk what he thought about that before I made a decision.

I have 2 bikes running bb7 and they both squeal, somehow it doesn’t bother me like a squealing canti drives me up the wall.