help me come to terms with yolo

kirk’s been the guy doing all the testing with raked dick forks, rite?

you realize with a 32c tubular, or even a good 25c (the fmbs im riding right now are about perfect under 80psi front and rear) frame compliance is irrelevant

to care about fork movement (millimeters) is stupid when a good tire gives you considerably more

kirk’s been the guy doing all the testing with raked dick forks, rite?[/quote]

his personal bike is posted up top

I saw it in july when I was out there

has rake and hes not dead yet

he’s been doing mountain descents for about a year now then, rite?

[quote=catdrew f]you realize with a 32c tubular, or even a good 25c (the fmbs im riding right now are about perfect under 80psi front and rear) frame compliance is irrelevant

to care about fork movement (millimeters) is stupid when a good tire gives you considerably more[/quote]

I disagree that frame / fork compliance is irrelevant, I think it contributes highly to the ride quality, handling, and overall feel even with compliant tires. Maybe the difference in forks isn’t noticeable maybe it is. Also forks clearly move more than a few mm

considering he basically lives on one, yes

I hadnt thought of that

mtn descent

fuak

but with owning the rsys slr tub, mtn descending on anything else feels like shit

[quote=Flamandrio Schwaschwa][quote=catdrew f]you realize with a 32c tubular, or even a good 25c (the fmbs im riding right now are about perfect under 80psi front and rear) frame compliance is irrelevant

to care about fork movement (millimeters) is stupid when a good tire gives you considerably more[/quote]

I disagree that frame / fork compliance is irrelevant, I think it contributes highly to the ride quality, handling, and overall feel even with compliant tires. Maybe the difference in forks isn’t noticeable maybe it is.[/quote]

it doesnt matter dude

stiffer frame rides better

you need compliance build it into the wheel/seatpost as a second, but primarily into the tires

I bet my rsys (brutally stiff wheel) with teh fmb makes more of a difference than any frame out there

if I dusted off the nemesis 32h and put the fmb on those, that would make any frame irrelevant, unless you do something whack like the moots yyb

like, how much does your frame move

2mm?

max?

if I’m riding the grifo xs on road/offroad (as I usually use them) I pump em up to about 40psi, which gives me about 1.5cm of bob should I need it

only thing i have left to say is

yes 25mm fmb’s are fucking awesome

[quote=cookietruck]only thing i have left to say is

yes 25mm fmb’s are fucking awesome[/quote]

yeah, kind of scary how fast they roll

I’ve had several production 320tpi/latex tubs on there prior, and the fmb was immediately noticeable. I even told my gf after the first ride that I was done spending money on that bike, and from now on I’ll just budget 500$ in rubber a year for it.

Seems like you’re a little far out from having to make decisions, particularly re: tireway.

tires dictate the whole build

what clearance I want will later dictate teh way the frame looks

If I’m already considering a new set of wheels for simplicity (ie r45s to a23 or something) then it doesnt cost me anything to go disc. If I just wanted another road racing bike, this wouldnt be an issue as I’ve already got a nice selection of wheels, outside the 60+mm carbon tub I’ll add at some point.

I ain’t fucking around with dick on the CX bike until they’ve got the bugs worked out of Shimano R785.

Don’t like the feel or look of SRAM hydro and wasn’t impressed with BB7s when I ran them on my mtb.

fuck

in two years I might be able to get a real hydro/mech shifter

imagine campy 11s/da11s with a formula/xt brake

id ride that

Thinks frame compliance doesn’t matter but different wheels offer varying amounts of radial stiffness.

LOL

[quote=halbritt]Thinks frame compliance doesn’t matter but different wheels offer varying amounts of radial stiffness.

LOL[/quote]

i get what he’s saying
but i’ve also ridden 25mm fmb’s on some shallow tubular rims
so good

yeah i doubt i’d worry about whether a disc brake brace on the fork blade would affect deflection too much ^ in that case

[quote=halbritt]Thinks frame compliance doesn’t matter but different wheels offer varying amounts of radial stiffness.

LOL[/quote]

i can say abosolutly, having ridden the nemesis and the rsys back to back on the same frame with identical tires. The rsys is stiffer in every regard, laterally and vertically.

its minute, much like a frame, but it is there. The point still stands, even with likely the stiffest wheelset on the market a quality tire rides like buttah

if you disagree halibrit, I’d love to hear of your control group. I had a set of rsys slr tub, 23c vit tires and the nemesis 32h 3x with 23c vittorias and could swap at will. There was a slight difference, but mostly due to the stiffness of the rsys.

what does deflection mean? twistyness of the fork when braking? like the bike sort of veers to one side? i think that happens sometimes

what matters in frame compliance is how it dampens

there is no shock absorption, but a good frame rounds the bump slightly, as the frame allows teh impact wave to slow a bit. A frame cant get rid of road noise like a tire can, but it can round out rough bumps versus a hard linear impact

i think the logic is that the added bracing for a disc fork reduces teh actual outward movement a good radiused steel fork will give. On my old steel f/f you could actually see the front wheel moving under hard efforts on rough roads.