help me come to terms with yolo

27mm FMBs on box section rims… so nice! I’ve run 32mm CX gahnobby tubs under my mid reach calipers on my FF with no problems.

I’ve thought about disc braks when thinking about melting glue descending… but then I just let go of the brakes and get on with it…

the way i meant it in this sense is
the way the fork blades moves while riding over rough pavement or bumps or whatever
or even the way they move when someone is putting in effort on the bike

the thing people worry about with a curved blade and a disc tab is that the tab triangulates the curve of the blade on only one blade
i think the effect would be minimal

Bro? What has the west coast done to you?

A skinny tubed steel f/f like that with discs is gonna be hella heavy in order to be stiff enough for you. Why not get something like this with out the ugly ass paint/build:

Lighter, stiffer and still checks all the boxes… Or even custom Alu?

[quote=catdrew f]Keep the bb north of 7cm, FC a hair over 6cm (at most) and you should be golden. I still want it to hammer out with 25c.

I guess I want a homer bike[/quote]

oh yeah
you’re the weirdo that likes a high bb right? (joking about the weirdo part)
and you mean 60cm front center?

i’d like to hear what kirk has to tell you about the bb height as i’m pretty sure he’s a proponent of building as low as possible
as is tom kellogg and some others

i think it will be something like you might feel as if you’re sitting in the bike instead of on the bike
i also think we’ve discussed this before

[quote=cookietruck][quote=catdrew f]Keep the bb north of 7cm, FC a hair over 6cm (at most) and you should be golden. I still want it to hammer out with 25c.

I guess I want a homer bike[/quote]

oh yeah
you’re the weirdo that likes a high bb right? (joking about the weirdo part)
and you mean 60cm front center?

i’d like to hear what kirk has to tell you about the bb height as i’m pretty sure he’s a proponent of building as low as possible
as is tom kellogg and some others

i think it will be something like you might feel as if you’re sitting in the bike instead of on the bike
i also think we’ve discussed this before[/quote]

ive ridden a low (75mm) bb bike and I didnt like how it initiated corners. I prefer the tip of a higher bb bike as I feel as I have more control of the initial angle of attack on the turn.

[quote=rauce]Bro? What has the west coast done to you?

A skinny tubed steel f/f like that with discs is gonna be hella heavy in order to be stiff enough for you. Why not get something like this with out the ugly ass paint/build:

Lighter, stiffer and still checks all the boxes… Or even custom Alu?[/quote]

dude im 205 pounds

this thing is gonna weigh 19 pounds

not gonna mean shit at the end of the day

but yes, I feel you on the stiffness thing

DK said he could do it, but that was without discs being discussed.

[quote=catdrew f][quote=halbritt]Thinks frame compliance doesn’t matter but different wheels offer varying amounts of radial stiffness.

LOL[/quote]

i can say abosolutly, having ridden the nemesis and the rsys back to back on the same frame with identical tires. The rsys is stiffer in every regard, laterally and vertically.

its minute, much like a frame, but it is there. The point still stands, even with likely the stiffest wheelset on the market a quality tire rides like buttah

if you disagree halibrit, I’d love to hear of your control group. I had a set of rsys slr tub, 23c vit tires and the nemesis 32h 3x with 23c vittorias and could swap at will. There was a slight difference, but mostly due to the stiffness of the rsys.[/quote]

R-Sys and Nemesis are on either end of the spectrum, so I imagine the difference is pretty noticeable. Radial compliance is going to be the same, but the lower spoke count and vastly increased spoke tension of the R-Sys is going to do a better job of transmitting low-frequency vibrations.

Point being, there may not be any measurable difference in deflection radially, but you can feel the difference. Same goes for frames, though. A straight seat stay will do a lot better job of transmitting vibrations than an S-bend seat stay even in the absence of any measurable deflection.

I keep using the word, “radial” because ostensibly the R-sys and the Nemesis are relatively similar in strength radially. Laterally, I’m sure there’s quite a bit more difference.

a seatstay/frame/w/e can only dampen vibrations, it cant prevent them

this is how those melty pinarellos work, they lengthen the tubes without actually lengthening them. Looks stupid, but it works. What I’m trying to say is don’t say a frame makes a difference. it can allow you to perceive impact differently, but it cant actually make life better like pneumatic suspension can.

this ignores shit liek the ISO speed decoupler, which sounds like it actually works, and almost too well.

Hmmm.
I guess if weights not a concern it might be okay, but I wouldn’t count on it being under 20 or even 21lbs… this thing was 23lbs without fenders:

It would have taken a ww road pedals, a top end gruppo, carbon fork and carbon seatpost to get close to 20.

The really bad handlebar setup thread is that way >>>

Mine? In what universe?

can we just file this whole thread under “FUCK IT. YOLO”

I will say one thing though, if you want amazing stops HY/RD is the way to go. I have one on the front of my English (It wouldn’t fit in the rear) and goddamn that’s a good brake.

Still squeals though.

probably

also im pretty sure this thing is under 20 pounds

unless there is a large weight penalty for running discs
then the bike catdrew builds around a kirk frame should easily be under 20lbs

id need ergott to chime in, but I’m pretty sure you could do a nice disc hub to an alloy rim for about 1500g, which would make a 1700g frame, and 1000g fork viable. my spooky is 16 pounds flat, 4 pounds more than that is a ton of weight

I think half of tarck is running a bike like you’re describing.

It’s good, it’s fine, beats the fuck out of cantilevers.

(28 nomads and dick braks is where it’s at, man.)

[quote=Sneaky Viking]I think half of tarck is running a bike like you’re describing.

It’s good, it’s fine, beats the fuck out of cantilevers.

(28 nomads and dick braks is where it’s at, man.)[/quote]

i want something that rides properly with 25c most of the time, but lets me yolo a fat tire in sometimes.