Hey, Fookers -- aka, the pedal thread

I am actually having the same problem as Nasho, my Black Mountain road is a nice bike and the genesis of ShartQs but I never ride it, even after putting SPD pedals on it. I have those PD-T8000s on my commuter bike and love them so maybe I should just face facts and get another pair for the road bike

I am also a fan of these pedals.

Look, if there’s one thing that Grant was right about, it was that most people should really just be using flat pedals on their bike. Face up to that fact and get some of them cheap, grippy shits on your bike so you can just hop out the door and go ride your bike.

1 Like

Applicable if you wear shoes in your house, yes? If you’re putting shoes on before you walk out the door it’s no easier one way or the other.

Or if you want to arrive someplace and not be clacking around in some weird plastic shoes

4 Likes

Truth. At least MTB shoes have actual soles and come in styles other than HELLOIAMABICYCLESHOEANDIAMTARCKASFUCK.

1 Like

I think the gr500s fit the bill. Pricewise and sizewise. I can’t get down with hybrid pedals. Philosophically speaking. Its Just wrong.

The GR500s feel small to me. Granted, I wear size 11/45 shoes, so maybe folks with smaller feet would find them more supportive.

MTB shoes look weird too atmo unless you buy one of the variety where you are not gaining much by just going to flats. Ain’t never seen a good mtb shoe that passed for normal (stiff, not heavy).

The Giro megalopogis (or sonething like that) is basically indistinguishable from a flat shoe. Unless you buy the reflective one, and then you’ll look like a disco queen from the ‘70s — but a disco queen wearing flats, which is still something.

Only one I’ve found as sufficient mix of style and function is the pearl izumi alp x lace up but the colors are sooo bad.

It’s cool they actually have pins now. I cut grooves into my wives and added grip tape. Might have to buy a pair or two.

I have the pearl x project in grey. Afaik they blend in well.

The Giro Republic (sadly, that’s the real name of them) in synthetic leather is a nice understated shoe:

(Giro also has one in leather, which would look better than this except for some completely inexplicable reason it’s got a cream-colored heel collar that tips it over from being a nice leather work shoe to just stupid.)

Yeah I have those too. Normal shoes don’t have boas.

Syntace’s $0.3-bong flat pedal. Typical German design/construction, but that doesn’t translate into more grip or support than pedals costing a fraction as much.

1 Like

That single center pin is cute.

1 Like

I have a pair of the previous generation Saint pedals (same as the current GR500 but with prettier finishing) that I don’t use anymore because I switched to Chesters for matchy match and lightness. I thought the Saints were a little bit comfier, but a little bit less grippy.

I still kind of want to throw those Saints onto something.

My 45NRTH pedals have that style of pin, which I like a lot more than the grub screw style on my Deitys. They’re less likely to be removed during a pedal strike.

Just started riding the new iSSi Thump pedals with the removable (metal) pins and they’re outstanding. $50 MSRP, good bearings, sturdy CroMo spindle, and available in TAF colo(u)rways.

https://rideissi.com/pedals/thump