Hey, what's your Sundeal?

love love love my katu-e. just did a winter’s worth of consistent commuting here in Salt Lake City, UT and it did it all with aplomb. I now have about eight months on it and 1400 miles.

-Rear light died. It’s a cheap Spanninga. Haven’t yet replaced it with something nicer but that is on the docket of things to do soon.
-Cheap chain is cheap. Replacing it this weekend with something nicer.
-if you want to use a rear wheel lock, they require L-shaped bracket adaptors. Not sure if @Bootus got their wheel lock sorted but they tried to add one not too long ago. Kinda nice to have, though mine comes loose every other month.
-the heaviest thing I’ve put in there is 30 lb of groceries. Handled well enough.
-i’ve had no issues maneuvering the bike through tight spaces.

it is a shame they discontinued the bike… and that people are really only getting into it now. it is still my all-time favorite bike. highly recommend it if you have the space.

3 Likes

in all fairness, the “people” who are getting into it now fit firmly into “there are dozen of us” category from a product development standpoint

still mad i didn’t get one tho

4 Likes

Nope, not yet, keep forgetting about it honestly.

It’s still on the list tho.

based on my bike shop experience, we now have received at least a call or email a week (and more like three) asking for either a katu or a katu-e since july '19. there aren’t many of us, but there are more than a dozen

3 Likes

wow. i didnt think the world was ready for that

I have not touched my Sundeal since pandemic. Totally harshing lunch break vibes.

I have been using my katu to go get beer but it is being ridden a lot less.

i just did a ~45# katu run to the grocery. lil twitchy but i think that might have more to do with my dumbass kludged together cockpit
rolled real nice

3 Likes

Are the Katu 20 and Katu 40 still available?

I think I failed by only buying one Katu, thinking that three is the idea number:

• Nice Katu (what mine is turning into even though it wasn’t supposed to)
  • Katu with a Bafang e-drive kit
  • Lockup Katu that has basically nothing done to it
5 Likes

life is too short to ride a shitty katu. when are you going to not want to be able to lock it up on a whim?

2 Likes

Spaghettis secret to bikes is have a nice bike but let it be beat up and ugly and then it can be nice and a lockup

10 Likes

I didn’t say they were good or smart thoughts…

Locking up on a whim isn’t such a thing for me. Most things are there and back. The lockup bike would be specifically for things, all canceled right now of course, where I’d need to lockup outside for 1-2 or more hours out of site.

my clydesdale is my most frequently used bike despite being the heaviest and slowest because it’s my only bike with flats, and i’ll lock it up anywhere for however long. i imagine this is what katulyfe would be like

2 Likes

Hopefully katus and clydesdales are goofy looking enough to deter most bike thieves.

If I actually went down that road, I’d bet the e-conversion katu would get the most use and the others would just sit.

1 Like

I don’t think I go anywhere that I wouldn’t lock my bike up for 2 hours.

1 Like

Anywhere within 5km of home I mostly use the spicy curry. Electric with load carrying is where it’s at. An e-katu with panniers would be a perfect shopping bike.

This is what I’m hoping my future e-katu is going to be!

2 Likes

sorry for the late reply
all katus are gone :frowning:

my katu envy is not subsiding. who knows a guy?

I’m pretty sure this is what Tarck wants.

Alibaba group buy?

19 Likes