HF Phil Wood to Open Pro spoke length?

Anyone know the length spoke I would need for high flange phils and mavic open pro rims?

I can’t seem to find the hub and rim measurements necessary to use a spoke length calculator.

hah!

Thanks (assuming you’re serious and it’s not just some joke I don’t get).

How did you get that?

edit: you were joking. oh well.

How many holes and what kind of lacing?

32 hole 3x double fixed would be 290 rear 290.5 (290 or 291) front.
This site is your friend.

I usually use the DT spoke calculator.

[quote=EuroJosh]32 hole 3x double fixed would be 290 rear 290.5 (290 or 291) front.
This site is your friend.[/quote]
It would be 36 hole, 3x double fixed.

That was the site I was trying to use, but without knowing all the measurements of the hubs and rims I wasn’t able to do it. I found a question on another forum somewhere where someone else said 290, and when I used the measurements I was able to find (but wasn’t sure about), i got that as well. Thanks.

Are you buying spokes online or something? Any reputable LBS should be able to determine spoke length by measuring your crap.

Googling the Phil Wood specs shouldn’t be that hard, lazy ass. And same goes the ERD of Open Pros.

And if you already got the hubs, you could even even measure them yourself. Not that hard.

[quote=Jussi]Googling the Phil Wood specs shouldn’t be that hard, lazy ass. And same goes the ERD of Open Pros.

And if you already got the hubs, you could even even measure them yourself. Not that hard.[/quote]
I did attempt to google it, smart ass. And if I had the tools to measure the hubs, or even knew what exactly i was measuring, then I would do it myself. But I don’t, and I don’t, so I didn’t.

To answer the other question, I will be buying the spokes online. I’m going to do the build myself and then bring them to a shop to check/finish off.

You need a set of Vernier calipers, ass ass. You can get plastic ones for a few bucks. Every cyclist should have em because so many component specs depend on measurements of round things that need to be accurate to under a tenth of a millimeter.

long.?

Are you kidding me? A tire lever is something every cyclist should have. A pedal wrench and allen keys are things every cyclist should have. Hell, you might even be able to make that argument about something like a crank puller or lockring tool (for people not riding fixed). I have all those things, and I’m glad that I do.

But there is no way in hell that a tool to measure things within a tenth of a millimeter is something every cyclist should have. I’ve been cycling for 4 years, and outside of volunteering at a bike co-op (where working on lots of random bikes with lots of different parts made accurate measuring necessary), this is the first time I’ve found myself in a situation where vernier calipers might have been useful. And even now the manufacturer’s specs --which I trust more than my own measurements-- are online anyway.

ben, mander…

one of you two will have to be banned from the whole internet

sorry.

First

Answer: 287 front and rear. Dimensions were pulled from Phil’s site. ERD was measured at home, used homebrew spokecalc program, double checked on UBI. Wheelsmith or DT?

PS: Make sure to spit on your hubs and call 'em dirty before lacing.

Heh. Post up the dimensions so the gentleman can figure out his own spoke length. That would redeem this thread and make it educational for someone.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47257

I have a full set of really nice Mitutoyo metrology gear that I’m too lame to bang around in the shop, so I use these. These calipers get as much or more use than any other bike-specific tool I have. They’re $10, they measure tenths of mm, they are $10, you don’t have to learn to read a vernier scale, and they’re $10.

OK halbritt, but learning to read a vernier scale takes 10 seconds and the plastic ones are $2. I use mine much more often than i use a crank puller, but certainly not as often as the allen keys.

Ben, specs change, you can get conflicting information online (e.g. there are two sets of measurements often posted online for Ultegra 9 speed hubs) and i think it’s good not to have to ask faraway strangers for information about something you’re holding in your own hand. I’m surprised that youre arguing otherwise but maybe your feelings got hurt when i called you an ass ass :colbert:

I’m not fond of plastic calipers, they flex too much to be that accurate, think 27.0 seatpost vs. 27.2. Also, hex-keys aren’t a bike-specific tool. Definitely, I use hex-keys more than anything else, particularly a 5mm.

Tarck is about whining and avoiding questions you don’t know the answer to.