Previous itarckation of arts and crafts
One of the less frequented threads of days past but one I always liked.
I’m in deep on a di2 macgyver hole right now. I’ve taken a di2 climbing shifter and stripped it down to make what I saw here.
But I didn’t like his exact solution so I made my own. I grabbed a ps2 controller just like in the article but I used it a bit differently. I noticed that the buttons on a ps2 controller are all indexed differently into their shafts, so not only is a button in a cylinder (so that it cannot move off its path of travel) but it also cannot be mixed up with another button. Really no idea why they did that but whatever. You can see that in the photo below. They have different sized tabs in different orientations.
As you can see above I cut the pad into two pieces. I decided the two buttons I wanted and put those on the right relatively undisturbed while I experimented on the test pieces on the left.
I removed those two shafts completely from the surrounding plastic. This allowed me to glue them together much closer than they originally were as the di2 button are quite close (the giant housing on the shifter uses a pretty ingenious pivoting technique to spread the physical buttons apart). I used super glue and baking soda to create a more solid structure than just glue alone. Once I got to this point I realized that the buttons were just slightly proud of the plastic and that if I were to put them underneath a rubber hood they wouldn’t protrude at all. I took my test piece and sanded it down about 3mm leaving enough plastic for the retaining portion to still capture the button tabs securely without fear of breaking. That is pictured below, sitting atop the stripped climbing shifter.
Those were just two cylinders after I was done removing excess plastic. All that fillet between is super glue and baking soda.
I will permanently mount that button housing onto the shifter with aforementioned super glue and baking soda. It’s semi-permanent as it’s rather trivial to cut off with a dremel so I’m not worried about having to remake it down the line, other than the time commitment.
Also I have since taken a 9/16" sprocket and heated it up to create a punch for the hood but it is a bit tight. I’m going to experiment with a larger socket. I will update with final build and pictures tomorrow.