Home built bike stuff

Originally my only doubt would be that they are hand assembled but then I realized 20 years ago was a different age in manufacturing so they probably were hand assembled in the last few steps. Also even now that poka-yoke could potentially allow an automated system to sort them based on that registration. So either way same thing.

I’ve been thinking about doing just that for a long time…and I have all the parts sitting at the shop.

Damn it.

X-post from poopbarn thread. I made a thing to keep my butt rocket from wagging.

8 Likes

I’m super into that. Nice work.

HY

I’m a fan of those Axiom seatpost clamps, using one on my steerer for a decaleur.

I’m marginally concerned because I had to stretch the clamp a little to get it onto the seat tube (thread the screw backwards and put a penny in the clamp to push the screw against). Everything says it’s the right size for a 27.2 post (28.6 clamp on a steel frame). Is this a common thing or is the clamp just wrong?

1 Like

Any external butt on the ST you can see? Thick paint?

Of course, I say I’m a fan of those clamps, while conveniently forgetting that I had to use a Dremel™ to grind down the lip on the thing so it would slide down the steerer.

Thick paint could be a thing. Tube thickness isn’t abnormal. I tried to get the old clamp back on and it still took a little forcing. I’m not too worried, but I plan to keep an eye on it.

Externally butted seat tubes are usually around 29.8mm, then bump that up for paint.

I may look for a different seat collar then. 28.6 was what the internet said.

Edit: just ordered the sunlight rack mount clamp in 29.8. An extra $12 isn’t too big of a deal.

id day that if you didn’t, it would make a pretty crummy seat collar, no?

True.

I think I just forgot about the fact that it’s a collar and not just something you clamp on to a chairpole. So, excited remembering about it, then disappointed by actual reality. Having a whole range of emotions over here.

1 Like

Do paint jobs count?

31 Likes

Ones like that do.

3 Likes

Picked up a Feedback Sports stand today at the REI graveyard, but didn’t realize the locking spring was broken when I got it home. So since it was 9:15PM I decided to whip out the drill under my landlord’s bedroom and get to fixing. Not perfect, but better than stock. Original spring in background :

How to fix a Feedback Sports stand

Tell me about your langster

2 Likes

Dude

1 Like

58cm 2007 Langster Comp! Bought it in what appeared to be nearly NOS condition. Interestingly it has a full carbon fork. Came stock with the Sugino 75s on there, too. The only downside is the dropouts are aluminum. Cat 4 is gear restricted here, so when I got to the 3s all the wheel in/out took a toll on the dropouts. Still functional but a little more challenging to get tensioned right between races.

Bars I swapped to Nitto B125s which I love. Saddle is an Aliante VSX which is also great for the application (a little stiffer even though padded with a channel). Wheels are HED stinger tubulars. I relaced the rear to a DT Swiss hub but the rim is toast and needs to be replaced. It’s wild how much of a difference tubulars make on the track.

Haven’t ridden it in a couple seasons due to health and personal issues. Need to get it up on Craigslist.

1 Like

How much?
I lusted after that exact model in high school

nvm I really don’t need more bikes right now
so sexy tho

1 Like

ugh I still want it