how do you carry yo' shit?! a saddlebag rant.

Japanese-style faux military surplus utility belt.

Seriously. I don’t know where to get one, except in East Asian clothing stores and street markets. But they’re awesome and most of them look good too.

Also, Fizik makes seat bags that clip directly into the saddle, which makes for a cleaner look without those straps. But you need to have a Fizik saddle, of course.

I pretty much just take my medium Baileyworks everywhere, back-sweat be damned. I guess I’ll just hand-wash it when it starts to smell.

I do use a Soma seatbag on my geared roadbike, because I hate having stuff bounce around in my jersey pockets. Plus it’s not ugly, just simple black hemp canvas with the Soma logo.

The R.E.Loads come with a belt for the hip packs. It’s this big black quick release belt that looks like this except made out of hte same material their straps are:

I was gonna get one of those fabric horse fanny packs but then I realized they were like sixty bux and just went to the army surplus store and got a “Modular Lightweight Load-Carrying Equipment/Canteen/General Purpose Pouch” for five bux.
Then I took some climbing webbing and sewed a wastebelt onto it using the clip from an old backpack as a closure. I also sewed on and extra strip of webbing to hold my lock. The pouch has two outside pockets for my camera and phone. In the main compartment I keep a pen, journal, small paperback, multitool, tire levers, patch kit, wallett, stubby wrench and my 4gb flash drive with room to spare.
Shit looks dorky as hell but who gives a fuck.

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]
Shit looks dorky as hell but who gives a fuck.[/quote]

+1

I found a pretty rad fanny type pack from rei I like. $27, lightweight, and made to wick away sweat.
I’m hoping it will go against my skin and my shirt will cover it.

I have an old water bottle that I jam my tools into and stick in my water bottle rack. Perfect for short rides.

fanny packs are the fashion equivalent to mullets and cutoff dale earnhardt i[/i] t-shirts.

Here, I took a crappy picture of mine in action. (felt kinda silly, a grown man standing on the street, taking a picture of his own ass)

I shelled out for a RELoad hip bag. It cost too much, but I like the idea of supporting a company like RELoad and it does its job. Also, it is purple and baby blue for extra tarck-points.

the hip bags are appealing, but i still can’t convince myself to wear one. currently i have a saddle bag for my tools (co2, levers, patches, multitool for bike, multitool with knife and light, couple of bandages, and $5), and i’ll yank it off the saddle and toss it in my bag if i’m carrying something or commuting. but for shorter rides i don’t take my bag. the bag only comes out if i need to take change of clothes, or books, or i’m shopping.

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]
[/quote]

Maybe Im just too old for this emo shit… But Thats a fucking purse!

So I’ve been told.
But like I said, who gives a fuck?

I would wear a hip pouch if I ever wore a belt. But I don’t so I don’t

Get a small square of canvas, warp your tube and tools in it like a burrito and secure the lot with an old toe strap. You can either throw it in your bag or use the toe strap to secure it under your seat. I personally hate riding with a pack or messenger bag unless I have to (I know, not very tarck).

Mine has a built in belt so I don’t have to take my pants off if I want to remove the bag.

Mine has a built in belt so I don’t have to take my pants off if I want to remove the bag.[/quote]
Juuuust like the R.E.Load hip pouch for those that wanna know.

Cool.
Mine was five, maybe seven dollars all told.

Mine has a built in belt so I don’t have to take my pants off if I want to remove the bag.[/quote]

Edit: I am stupid and didn’t read all the post.

Mine has a built in belt so I don’t have to take my skirt off if I want to remove the bag.[/quote]
:colbert:

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]Cool.
Mine was five, maybe seven dollars all told.[/quote]
That’s pretty sick. I was thinking about going the surplus direction and found this WWII era ruck sack in Austin that I wanted badly. Only problem was that the shop wanted $85 bucks for it.

Collectors item… thrown in a messy stack of other “collector’s items.”