Hybrids

Let’s show some Fred love:

Add some fenders and a front basket…yesss.

here’s my old hybrid. built and messed on in the '90s.

You messed on it? Last time I messed on a bike it was a PITA to hose off. There’s still brown speckles on the front derailer.

GTFO

Here the goat. bought it this spring after getting TB suggestions for a new rianbike with disc brakes. Its a bit heavy but so far I am pleased.

I’ve been seeing a lot of nicer, disk equipped hybrids around lately.

Not only do they look pretty legit but it’s nice to see more people around here driving less.

this hybrid is fucking serious about it’s look

I think the first 2 are what is termed ‘flat bar road bikes.’

sorta like hybrid but not, really.

[quote=sneaky viking]I think the first 2 are what is termed ‘flat bar road bikes.’

sorta like hybrid but not, really.[/quote]

my thing was totally a hybrid. it was a shitty Raleigh road bike that we threw flat bars and mountainish wheels on. it performed equally poorly on the streets of New Orleans as it did on the levees of New Orleans.

[quote=sneaky viking]I think the first 2 are what is termed ‘flat bar road bikes.’

Hybrid is just a new marketing term for townie. Just like “flat bar road bike.” They’re for commuting.

this is hybrid as fuck

WTF is going on with those breaks?

hydraulic

[quote=blickblocks][quote=sneaky viking]I think the first 2 are what is termed ‘flat bar road bikes.’

Hybrid is just a new marketing term for townie. Just like “flat bar road bike.” They’re for commuting.[/quote]
if it’s got a crabon fork and flat bars, it’s for not getting dropped on the once-a-year charity ride.

I’d take the Kona Dr. Dew for the type of practical commuting you’re talking about

or a Civia Highland Alfine, if you’re ballin’ outta control, and really really really wanna win at commuting

I may be wrong about the details, but I remember EJ telling me a few years ago about taking a Ridley cross frame and building it with a Chorus flar bar group and V-brakes for someone in his shop. $2000 hybrid.

My Bruce Gordon still looks like this:

sup pie plate

Balonya’s highbrid is the balls. Haven’t seen tarckee’s yet.

I don’t have one though. I’m a man dammit.

That being said, I’ve seen some mean hybrid builds using Cross Checks and LHT’s around town.

Here’s my hybrid:

(IMHO tarck bikes with risers and/or flatbars are the new hybrids. AYHSMB)

there’s a guy i see out riding a whole bunch around the river; one of those good-looking octogenerians who look younger than the haggard 50-year old chainsmoker hardlifers. anyway he has a carboner pinarello with wide ass carbon mountainbike flats

does this pertain to the conversation?

slightly more hybrid related, i was borrowing my sister’s old hybrid to ride around the place a few summers back. it inevitably got stolen as the shitty lock was cracked in half by a brick so i claimed that shit on insurance* and it became this hybrid:

i rode this thing for a 20k fun ride every day that summer and to band practice 4 times a week. in the end i couldn’t handle the flat bars any more as my wrists were killing me but i racked up what was some serious distance back then. i remember being amazed that i could go 15k in one direction without dying.

*claiming shit on insurance: favourite pasttime.

[quote=Classic Stever]there’s a guy i see out riding a whole bunch around the river; one of those good-looking octogenerians who look younger than the haggard 50-year old chainsmoker hardlifers. anyway he has a carboner pinarello with wide ass carbon mountainbike flats
[/quote]

I see this guy all the time!