Hydration.

Sorry if this is redundant from the Drunk Thread. but I’d prefer a drunkthread highlights thread before reading through all 1100 posts. Please recap anything noteworthy? and then we can continue on this conversation. My issue is with alcohol. How do you relate your awareness of sobriety and general hydration while you are drinking? Have you found yourself feeling similar flags for dehydration while you are sober and riding your bike? Because I think I have, and am hoping someone else uses that awareness as a way of staying “healthy” or “in-control” while they are out and enjoying themselves on the nights out.

A little bit about the OPer: I am 24. At this point. I worked hard in school and didn’t party-up much. Now am finding myself with a lot of free time, no school, still not landing a job. I am finding myself ready to start relaxing a bit, and enjoying life in a “poor” economy. I want to enjoy a drink, or two, on the same amount of nights per week that Sol gets drunk. Or is this not how most tarckers incorporate alcohol into their lives? How else do we have fun when money, the object we use to confirm trade, isn’t so easy to come by? What are you doing to get by and how fucking good is your life now that you are finding yourself and others succeeding?

Aside from the questions above, or as a whole response, please share with us how you ride your bike hard and healthily enjoy drinking alcohol.:

hmmm well i went to the club the other night. had like 4 adios’s and pre drank at my friends. got home at 4 am… woke up at 8 am to go trail riding and got my ass kicked and wanted to throw up but i didnt. i think my dehydration awareness didnt really kick in until the ride back. i started feeling weird and drank a ton of water really fast. plus my camel pack was hot :confused: i stuck it out pretty good though and actually had a pretty good time. i think as long as im in really good shape (im not but im trying to get there) i can drink a decent amount and still maintain a healthy lifestyle pretty well. just drink lots water too i guess. does that answer you question?

i think the scientific rule of thumb is that for every 1mL of alcohol you’re drinking, you should aiming to drink 10mLs of water - ignoring all the fluid-that-isn’t-alcohol in your alcoholic beverage. i overdid the drinking thing a few years back and haven’t in more recent years, so i haven’t had much experience of overlap between extreme drinking and extreme cycling, but the supreme headplosions i got from doing tarck-century jogs with a hangover lead me to believe that rehydrating is very important*.

*ignoring the fact that a lot of hangover effects are not simply due to dehydration but also the by-products of drinking floating about your system, such as those stemming from alcohol dehydrogenase etc etc

I am at a similar point (out of school, no real careerish developments showing up) but have found that I drink way less not living in a college town with friends to party with on any given moment. Now I really only drink on more special occasions. It stays fun, I stay healthy, and I don’t waste money on booze. But I also find that the older I get, the worse my hangovers are. So I really avoid more than a drink or two before anything physical at all.

i drink quite a bit. i keep a gallon jug of water in my fridge at all times. never an issue.

[quote=LADY GAGGIA]i think the scientific rule of thumb is that for every 1mL of alcohol you’re drinking, you should aiming to drink 10mLs of water - ignoring all the fluid-that-isn’t-alcohol in your alcoholic beverage. i overdid the drinking thing a few years back and haven’t in more recent years, so i haven’t had much experience of overlap between extreme drinking and extreme cycling, but the supreme headplosions i got from doing tarck-century jogs with a hangover lead me to believe that rehydrating is very important*.

*ignoring the fact that a lot of hangover effects are not simply due to dehydration but also the by-products of drinking floating about your system, such as those stemming from alcohol dehydrogenase etc etc[/quote]

I’m never extreme drinking. I guess the relation I was putting it to was having about 5-10 beers at a rate of about 1.5 and hour or less.
But If I’m pacing myself and maintaining a good buzz for a long period of time, and staying in control, is when I notice similar notes I get during a long ride.

Anyone finding themselves chronically dehydrated during these hot months?

Before 30, I could drink pretty much whatever, whenever, in significant quantity, without much issue the next day.

After 30… not so much. Now hangovers can easily last 2 days if I really hit it hard, and definitely 1 day. Get sick much easier, too. So rad!!

Drinking water helps but ultimately it’s all about how much quantity of alcohol you put into your system, how much you weigh, how fast your metabolism is, how long & much you’ve been drinking alcohol. But just remember, IT’S FUCKING POISON. You can get away with it for a long time but it WILL catch up with you.

[quote=Sandbagbear]I’m never extreme drinking. I guess the relation I was putting it to was having about 5-10 beers at a rate of about 1.5 and hour or less.
But If I’m pacing myself and maintaining a good buzz for a long period of time, and staying in control, is when I notice similar notes I get during a long ride.

Anyone finding themselves chronically dehydrated during these hot months?[/quote]
day long drunk is hard to balance - you often get too drunk too quick or your buzz wears off and you feel drained. try whipping up a pitcher of fruit juice & dark rum or some g&ts during those summery afternoon sessions and drink at least one non-alcoholic non-caffeinated beverage between each, as well as keeping your energy levels up with healthsome foods. will make all the difference!

It is usually my financial situation that keeps me from drinking too much. I’ll get a 6-pack of something good at the store and either drink it in one night with some friends or make it last the whole week drinking them on my own. Either way, it’s one 6-pack a week. If I go out I’ll generally get no more than two beers before I start feeling guilty about spending the money. I only like to buy good beer so getting 4 PBR’s instead of 2 Hoegaarden’s is not an option.

If someone else is buying or we’re each putting in like 5$ for a bunch or pitchers, all bets are off.

I have a drink or two pretty regularly, rarely more than 3 drinks… I usually drink about one full glass of water for every two drinks I have. If i get to the bar feeling THIRSTY, def drink a glass of water first so I dont end up chugging down cocktails cuz i’m feeling thirsty.

I find it helps mainly to drink water before, during, and some after if i remember but i’m usually the worst about drinking water when I get home. I’m pretty good at regulatin myself, it only takes one embarassing day of drinking 4 loko to remind me why i don’t drink much

4 lokos for life

weed > alcohol.

Maths.

In these 90F+ days I find it pretty hard to stay hydrated… my room gets pretty hot at night and I end up waking up dehydrated every morning, even when downing a glass of water right before bed. I’ve been mixing salt into my water for long rides and races in the hot weather but think I’m going to check out those NUUN tablets.

Just drink an 8oz. glass of water for every alcoholic drink and you’ll be fine. If you wake up the next morning with a headache you probably didn’t drink enough water so adjust accordingly.

I relate very well to this.

It tastes foul, but have you tried dissolving part of a multi vitamin into your water bottle? I’ve tried putting some lime juice and sugar in there to mask the flavor. I don’t know if the vitamins are worth anything, or if I’m better off eating the multi during breakfast.

Maths.[/quote]

I relate very well to this.

It tastes foul, but have you tried dissolving part of a multi vitamin into your water bottle? I’ve tried putting some lime juice and sugar in there to mask the flavor. I don’t know if the vitamins are worth anything, or if I’m better off eating the multi during breakfast.[/quote]

A multivitamin isn’t going to do a whole lot for your hydration outside of a little of potassium, calcium and magnesium, but most cheaper multivitamins don’t absorb very well anyway.

But yeah, if you want to take one, it’s always better to take it with food. Some things (e.g., vit. A, D, E and K) will not really absorb at all unless accompanied by fat.

Drink water while you’re drinking, drink water when you get home, especially if you’re quite soused eat something substantial before you go to sleep, get up, drink coffee, eat something, ride yer bike, bring water & gatoraid & something to eat on your ride. That’s my routine. No problems with general dehydration.

nuun tablets rule.
i’m hooked on em.
i like the lemon-lime best.
i try to drink some cytomax on long road rides, but usually end up dehydrated cause i have to choke that stuff down.
makes me gag, but it’s good for you.
lately though, i’ve been splitting 12oz water/12oz gatorade in my bottles.